Kernel 1.3.41 causes obtuse failures

Post by Christopher Wo » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I installed Slackware Linux about a month ago using the kernel version
1.2.x.  I then upgraded to kernel version 1.3.41.  Since then, I have
been crippled.  I tried to re-compile the ftape and iBCS modules.
Both failed.  The FTape module complains that NR_FTAPE_BUFFERS is not
defined.  It isn't.  I specified to add tape support when compiling the
kernel, but the NR_FTAPE_BUFFERS macro has not been defined.  So I
just looked up a standard value, and added it by hand.  FTape.o compiles
now, but when I "insmod ftape.o" it complains that ftape_big_buffer
is not defined.

When I try to compile the iBCS module, I get an access to a non-existent
element in "current" in the signal.h file.

I compiled ppp support into the kernel, but when I type pppd, it
tells me there is no support for ppp in this kernel. Yes, I checked
to make sure I included it in the kernel config.  And I did install the
kernel (other changes are apparent).

Can anyone point me to the source of my problem?
Both the FTape and iBCS packages I am trying to compile are the latest
from sunsite::/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/sources.

-Wolf

Real programmers don't document their code.  If it was hard to write, it
should be hard to understand.
                         STEVE WOODFORD

Post by D R Henders » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I installed Slackware Linux about a month ago using the kernel version
: 1.2.x.  I then upgraded to kernel version 1.3.41.  Since then, I have
: been crippled.  I tried to re-compile the ftape and iBCS modules.
<clip, clip>

Are you aware that odd numbered kernels are experimentals?
(i.e. in a version number 1.x.anything, if x is odd, it's a beta of sorts.)

Those kernels quite often have bugs and are sometimes unstable.
If you're not in the game to find bugs and hack at kernel code, you'd
probably be better off staying to a 1.2.x kernel.  1.2.13 is probably the
kernel you want.

-David.

Post by Christopher Wo » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: : I installed Slackware Linux about a month ago using the kernel version
: : 1.2.x.  I then upgraded to kernel version 1.3.41.  Since then, I have
: : been crippled.  I tried to re-compile the ftape and iBCS modules.
: ...
: <clip, clip>

: Are you aware that odd numbered kernels are experimentals?
: (i.e. in a version number 1.x.anything, if x is odd, it's a beta of sorts.)

: Those kernels quite often have bugs and are sometimes unstable.
: If you're not in the game to find bugs and hack at kernel code, you'd
: probably be better off staying to a 1.2.x kernel.  1.2.13 is probably the
: kernel you want.

: -David.

David,

I need the 1.3 kernels because I need the Disk Manager support.  I
realize the 1.3.x is experimental, but these problems do not seem
like experimental bugs, they seem like I messed something up somewhere.
I'm wondering what sort of mess-ups I could have done to cause these problems.

-Wolf

Real programmers don't document their code.  If it was hard to write, it
should be hard to understand.
                         STEVE WOODFORD

1. Kernel 1.3.41 - ip_tcp.h ERRORS!?

I am sort of curious if and how anyone has gotten kernel v1.3.41 to compile?
I did a bit of experimenting and these are my results:

I ftp'd 1.3.40 and could not get it to compile so I deleted and started from
the kernel I had been using...

I started again with 1.3.25 which compiled fine.
Using patches, I compiled at each one until 1.3.35, and found that
1.3.28, 1.3.30 and 1.3.33 and above all would NOT compile?

I am currently at 1.3.32.

I ftp'd from tsx-11 the COMPLETE 1.3.41 and tried to compile it to no avail-
I get two errors having to do with "ip_tcp.h" or "tcp.c" or "ppp.c" - I'm
not really sure how to read the error messages all that fluently.
essentially there is some big long list of the following line:
"from /usr/include/netinet/ip_tcp.h:1," and they just repeat until the end
"from /usr/include/netinet/tcp.h:1,
 from ppp.c:105"
then some other error messages I'm not gonna type in, but I'm sure they are
related.

I've seen some people mention that they have 1.3.40 working - why is it that
the kernel's work on some machines and not others?
Why would my patching kernels cause some to not work and the next one
compiles fine, even though I haven't changed ANYTHING, including when I use
the "make config" I just use the same selections all the time (hit return)?
I guess part of what I'm asking is, why would *whoever* release a new kernel
version that wouldn't compile - are these tested before posting, or is that
infact the reason they _are_ posted - so we users can "debug" them and
report our errors...?

Daevid.
     <http://TheMatrix.com/><http://www.servtech.com/public/dae51d/>
    Sound Chemistry |\|     T H E   M A T R I X       |\| Who Mournes
        Alterations |\| Recording & SoundTrack Studio |\| I.C.E. Breaker
           Sampling |\|   -----------------------     |\| The 0NE
        Programming |\|   07 Royal Birkdale Court     |\| Procession Of Faith
         Sequencing |\|   Penfield, NY 14526-2820     |\| C.O.D.E.X.
            Scoring |\|       +1.716.546.8330         |\| AREA_39
   Courses/Tutoring |\|_______________________________|\| & Many Others...

2. I have a Diamond Stealth 2000 3D Pro

3. kernel 1.3.41

4. IMAKE.TEMP Needed

5. ppp with kernel version > 1.3.41

6. Can't talk to myself!

7. Linux Kernel 1.3.41+SB AWE 32=NO SOUND

8. ATI 3D Rage Pro don't work on XFree4.0.1

9. kernel 1.3.41 breaks pppd-2.2.0a (?)

10. Fix for some PPP problems with 1.3.41

11. Problems with 1.3.39 - 1.3.41 compile

12. linux 1.3.41/1.3.37 + ppp2.2.0c

13. memory leak in 1.3.41?