NEC CDR-250 (not CDR-260!) Success Story

NEC CDR-250 (not CDR-260!) Success Story

Post by John W. Saalwaecht » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

I finally managed to get my NEC CDR-250 to work (somewhat) with Linux.
I was able to fully install the Slakware 2.2 CD from my March '95
Infomagic CD last night.

I have an older 486 with 1990 BIOS that doesn't support EIDE.  I have
a DOS-only hard disk as the master on the first IDE controller, a
Linux-only hard disk as the slave on the first IDE controller, and
the NEC CDR-250 attached to the controller card it comes with (the
second IDE controller).

Here are the steps I took to get Linux to use my CD drive.  This all
occurred late last night, and was the first success I've had, so I'm
sure a more efficient method can be found.  I'm going to try some
other things myself, but I thought I'd just post what I've discovered
so far so that others can begin to start poking into the problem too.

1.  Starting with an unpartitioned Linux hard disk, I booted from the
    'bare' bootdisk and 'color144' root disk.  I then used fdisk to
    create native and swap partitions on /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2
    respectively.

2.  I then installed the bare Linux disk set (disks A1, A2, A3, A4)
    from floppy.

3.  I took the script 'MAKEDEV.ide1' from the linux-1.2.8.tar.gz kernel
    source (linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide1) and ran it on my new minimum
    installation.  One note however, the MAKEDEV.ide1 script references
    the $disk variable, but never sets it.  I added the line 'disk=disk'
    as the first executable line of the script (below the #!/bin/sh).
    This sets up /dev/hdc* and /dev/hdd* to use major device number 22.
    I think this step is probably unnecessary because I later saw that
    /dev/hd1a* is already configured for major number 22.

4.  Now here's the interesting part.  I rebooted using the 'idecd' boot
    disk.  When asked for boot parameters, I used
    'ramdisk root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=cdrom'

5.  When the kernel booted, I got screenfuls of the
    'ide1: unexpected_intr: status=0x40' error message.  Eventually all
    the disk activity quit, but the error message kept printing repeatedly.
    I then hit RETURN, and the messages stopped and I was presented with
    the login prompt.

6.  I logged in as root.  Something was wrong still because my hard disk
    showed activity every half second or so.  Next I mounted the CD drive
    using, 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt', and viola, it worked!  Plus
    the hard disk stopped cranking.

7.  I unmounted /mnt, created a directory /cdrom, remounted /dev/hdc under
    /cdrom, and then ran 'setup'.  I was able to install everything from CD.

8.  Finally, I downloaded the 1.2.8 kernel and built it with IDE CD
    support.  Unfortunately when I booted that kernel, I still got the
    'status=0x40' error message, and the hard disk didn't stop chugging
    away until I successfully mounted a CD-ROM.  But now that I know
    that the CDR-250 will work, I'm hoping that someone will update
    the ide.c and ide-cd.c source to account for the quirks of this
    CD drive.

Someone posted earlier being able to simply boot the 'idecd' bootdisk
and 'colrlite' rootdisk, and get access to the CDR-250 right away.
I tried this and was never able to get the error message to stop
printing.  Booting the 'bare' bootdisk, installing the A disks from
floppy, and modifying /dev/hdc* before booting the 'idecd' bootdisk
was the only way I was able to get access to the CD drive.

As I said earlier, the MAKEDEV.ide1 step may be unneccessary, and
maybe just substituting /dev/hd1a for /dev/hdc above would do the trick.

If anyone can take this further, or figure out how to compile a kernel
that doesn't require mounting the CD to stop the constant hard disk access,
please post your findings.  For now I think I'll just keep two kernels
around and only boot the IDE CD kernel when I need to install a major
package from CD.

 http://www.access.digex.net/~saalwaec/
 pgp public key available

Post by Mark Lo » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

>5.  When the kernel booted, I got screenfuls of the
>    'ide1: unexpected_intr: status=0x40' error message.  Eventually all
>    the disk activity quit, but the error message kept printing repeatedly.
>    I then hit RETURN, and the messages stopped and I was presented with
>    the login prompt.

Four people have now reported seeing that sort of message with various
CDROM drives, so it may not be unique to the NEC 250.

I'll try adding a muzzle to it in the next version of ide.c.

-ml
--

For the latest Linux kernel: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.2
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide

NEC CDR-250 (not CDR-260!) Success Story

Post by PEREIRA DAVID JAM » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I finally managed to get my NEC CDR-250 to work (somewhat) with Linux.
>I was able to fully install the Slakware 2.2 CD from my March '95
>Infomagic CD last night.
>I have an older 486 with 1990 BIOS that doesn't support EIDE.  I have
>a DOS-only hard disk as the master on the first IDE controller, a
>Linux-only hard disk as the slave on the first IDE controller, and
>the NEC CDR-250 attached to the controller card it comes with (the
>second IDE controller).
>Here are the steps I took to get Linux to use my CD drive.  This all
>occurred late last night, and was the first success I've had, so I'm
>sure a more efficient method can be found.  I'm going to try some
>other things myself, but I thought I'd just post what I've discovered
>so far so that others can begin to start poking into the problem too.
>1.  Starting with an unpartitioned Linux hard disk, I booted from the
>    'bare' bootdisk and 'color144' root disk.  I then used fdisk to
>    create native and swap partitions on /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2
>    respectively.
>2.  I then installed the bare Linux disk set (disks A1, A2, A3, A4)
>    from floppy.
>3.  I took the script 'MAKEDEV.ide1' from the linux-1.2.8.tar.gz kernel
>    source (linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide1) and ran it on my new minimum
>    installation.  One note however, the MAKEDEV.ide1 script references
>    the $disk variable, but never sets it.  I added the line 'disk=disk'
>    as the first executable line of the script (below the #!/bin/sh).
>    This sets up /dev/hdc* and /dev/hdd* to use major device number 22.
>    I think this step is probably unnecessary because I later saw that
>    /dev/hd1a* is already configured for major number 22.
>4.  Now here's the interesting part.  I rebooted using the 'idecd' boot
>    disk.  When asked for boot parameters, I used
>    'ramdisk root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=cdrom'
>5.  When the kernel booted, I got screenfuls of the
>    'ide1: unexpected_intr: status=0x40' error message.  Eventually all
>    the disk activity quit, but the error message kept printing repeatedly.
>    I then hit RETURN, and the messages stopped and I was presented with
>    the login prompt.

I have been having the same problem with this cd rom. One thing that I tried
is I put a jumper on the cdrom to make it the slave drive as an experiment;
and I was able to boot the IDECD disk without getting the error. I have the
same hard drive combo you have, A and B on primary interface, cdrom on
secondary interface (irq 15). I have not noticed any problems yet with the
jumper on the drive in either dos or linux, however I still have not been
able to access the cdrom in linux. Thanks for the post. I'll try your method
tonight.

Dave

>6.  I logged in as root.  Something was wrong still because my hard disk
>    showed activity every half second or so.  Next I mounted the CD drive
>    using, 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt', and viola, it worked!  Plus
>    the hard disk stopped cranking.
>7.  I unmounted /mnt, created a directory /cdrom, remounted /dev/hdc under
>    /cdrom, and then ran 'setup'.  I was able to install everything from CD.
>8.  Finally, I downloaded the 1.2.8 kernel and built it with IDE CD
>    support.  Unfortunately when I booted that kernel, I still got the
>    'status=0x40' error message, and the hard disk didn't stop chugging
>    away until I successfully mounted a CD-ROM.  But now that I know
>    that the CDR-250 will work, I'm hoping that someone will update
>    the ide.c and ide-cd.c source to account for the quirks of this
>    CD drive.
>Someone posted earlier being able to simply boot the 'idecd' bootdisk
>and 'colrlite' rootdisk, and get access to the CDR-250 right away.
>I tried this and was never able to get the error message to stop
>printing.  Booting the 'bare' bootdisk, installing the A disks from
>floppy, and modifying /dev/hdc* before booting the 'idecd' bootdisk
>was the only way I was able to get access to the CD drive.
>As I said earlier, the MAKEDEV.ide1 step may be unneccessary, and
>maybe just substituting /dev/hd1a for /dev/hdc above would do the trick.
>If anyone can take this further, or figure out how to compile a kernel
>that doesn't require mounting the CD to stop the constant hard disk access,
>please post your findings.  For now I think I'll just keep two kernels
>around and only boot the IDE CD kernel when I need to install a major
>package from CD.

> http://www.access.digex.net/~saalwaec/
> pgp public key available

NEC CDR-250 (not CDR-260!) Success Story

Post by Black Eag » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>5.  When the kernel booted, I got screenfuls of the
>    'ide1: unexpected_intr: status=0x40' error message.

I used to get the same problems with my CDR-250 untill I accidently
"fixed" it..  If you put another hard drive (or cd-rom drive) on the
secondary interface as the CDR-250, it'll boot up fine..  (Mine does, at
least)

1. Help! NEC CDR-260 CDROM not working

Hi! I'm sorry I cannot speak English freely.
I used the boot image of nec260 to try to
install slackware 2.x.x from my NEC CDR-260 CDROM.
I saw the massage flowing on my screen saying that
nec260 is registered with major #22.
What's the meaning?
However the nec260 seems to be not mounted on
me gateway 2000 P5-90.
So, I copied the kernel 1.1.54 to my HD
and installed it to /dev/hda1.
Then did "make config" to allow the kernel to
support nec260 and iso9660 fs.
After re-compiling and rebooting,
I put the command below,
mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/nec260 /mnt
such a message appears on my screen.
mount: wrong fs type, /dev/nec260 already mounted,
       /mnt busy, or other error

Thanks for any info. on the above problem.

                            Shifang Lee

                        Shifang Li
                        Takamori Laboratory
                        Dept. Computer & System Engineering, CS-11
                        Kobe University, Rokkodai 1-1
                        Nada, Kobe 657, Japan
                        Tel +81-(0)78-803-1200
                            or +81-(0)78-881-1212 (ext. 5529)
                        Fax +81-(0)78-803-1217

2. PPP connection slowdown?

3. NEC IDE CD (2V/CDR-250) Not Detected - Help!

4. Network wakeup on suspend RH7.2, SonyZ600Tek

5. NEC 2V CD (CDR-250) Not Detected - Please Help

6. modular nfs broken

7. NEC CDR-260 Help needed...

8. Prompt line question

9. NEC CDR-260 -- CDROM