Simple 4U X video Question

Post by Robert Morri » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I just put a new Trident 4mb video card an monitor in my machine and want to
know how to change the resolution and monitor type from the shell. X windows
wont start I have the wrong frequency set it just rolls! I am very very new
to linux so talk to me like i am a 4yr old!
Rob
Gotta learn somehow!

Simple 4U X video Question

Post by Matthias Zeichman » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I just put a new Trident 4mb video card an monitor in my machine and want to
> know how to change the resolution and monitor type from the shell. X windows
> wont start I have the wrong frequency set it just rolls! I am very very new
> to linux so talk to me like i am a 4yr old!

a nice way to change these things, although not from the shell, is
XF86Setup.
it starts up X with minimum settings and is easier to handle than
XConfigurator which works from the shell. in any case be sure to read
the manpages and howto's in order to know what you are doing!

gl

matthias

1. a simple question concerning laptop video

Hi,

I would like to ask a simple question:

I am aware of the fact that video cards in laptops are integrated into the
motherboard. However, is it possible that these use the same chipset as
their counterpart on a PC.

Ie, just to mention some names. is it possible to have a laptop video
with a matrox millenium II, or a 3d rage, etc... chipset?

Thanks,

Neil

2. curses.h and scrollng

3. Linux Video Card -- Simple Question

4. Return values from system()

5. cgi-bin and Linux

6. Mail Log Analyzer

7. A simple question deserving a simple answer

8. a simple sed question ( there all simple :> )

9. Simple question from simple user

10. Simple FTP question (very simple)

11. simple question about simple code