Linux with overlay for 2 HD.

Post by S elmu » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

I need some help before I mess my PC: I have 2 Hard drives that use the
OnTrack Overlay (sent with Maxtor Drives) in order to access them. It loads
before DOS/Win95 boots up. If I install Linux (Redhat 5.0 or 5.1) will the
overlay still boot up first (before or after lilo) before the kernel ?
Because I need to access all the partitions that I have on there :-)

Linux with overlay for 2 HD.

Post by Oracle DB » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

AFAIK if the overlay software lives on the MBR (master boot record)
and you install LILO on /dev/hda, then the overlay software
is probably going to get wahcked. How big are these drives and
what is the geomtry like?..

James

> Hello all,

> I need some help before I mess my PC: I have 2 Hard drives that use the
> OnTrack Overlay (sent with Maxtor Drives) in order to access them. It loads
> before DOS/Win95 boots up. If I install Linux (Redhat 5.0 or 5.1) will the
> overlay still boot up first (before or after lilo) before the kernel ?
> Because I need to access all the partitions that I have on there :-)

Linux with overlay for 2 HD.

Post by S elmu » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

James,

I have one physical drive 1.25 GB and one 3.5 GB.
They are divided into logical drives as follows:
C = 1 GB
D = 1 GB
E = 273 MB
F = 1 GB
G = 1 GB
H = 269 MB

C+E are one physical HD and D+F+G+H are the second HD.
I am using a 486 with an upgraded CPU (Maximiser 586) and thus using the EZ
Drive that is sent out with MAXTOR drives. This program used to be (I am not
sure if it still is) manufactured by OnTrack. This overlay boots up first
then Win-95 boots afterwards. I don't know if it is in the same area as the
MBR.

That is why before I do any change / move to Linux, I want to be sure I will
not loose my drives as I have a lot of "work related" information on them. I
know I can back them up & I do, but reinstalling win9S is a nightmare & I am
fed up of having to constantly reload and reboot  win9S machines :-) I don't
want to have to do it to my machine :-)

Thanks for your help.

S elmurr.

>AFAIK if the overlay software lives on the MBR (master boot record)
>and you install LILO on /dev/hda, then the overlay software
>is probably going to get wahcked. How big are these drives and
>what is the geomtry like?..

>James

>> Hello all,

>> I need some help before I mess my PC: I have 2 Hard drives that use the
>> OnTrack Overlay (sent with Maxtor Drives) in order to access them. It
loads
>> before DOS/Win95 boots up. If I install Linux (Redhat 5.0 or 5.1) will
the
>> overlay still boot up first (before or after lilo) before the kernel ?
>> Because I need to access all the partitions that I have on there :-)

1. Linux on a 1.2G HD w/Dynamic Drive Overlay?

I had the same problem with DDO but now have a sane workaround.  I'm using
the os/2 bootmanager right now but this should work with lilo as well.
Create a small primary partition and make it a bootable linux partitions.
Put lilo on the superblock of this partition and add your dos/main Linux
partitions to it.  Tag the small linux partition (the one with LILO) as
bootable, pray for 3 weeks, and all should be happy.
Hope this helps.

* Raymond Seto              *   The Golden Rule:

2. how to track nfs mounts?

3. Installing linux on a dynamic drive overlay HD

4. Need to turn Loopback off in RH 5.1

5. Linux on a 1.2G HD w/Dynamic Drive Overlay?

6. Boca Vortek Video card

7. Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

8. Bug with wuftpd ?

9. how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

10. HD blues.. linux does not see 2nd HD

11. PROBLEM: LILO & Transfer of Linux System from old HD to new HD.

12. copy files from win98 hd to linux hd

13. Q: Linux HD and Win HD on Removable Racks