Install question/SCSI Chain id's??

Post by Stua » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Must the SCSI drive I"m installing to be the first device (id) on the
chain.

Currently nothing is set at 0-2.  CD-W on 3 and the drive on 4.

Linux version is Redhat 5.1
SCSI Card Adaptec 2940UU

Thanks
Stuart

Install question/SCSI Chain id's??

Post by Eugene Blanchar » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If you want to boot to your scsi hard-drive then it should be id 0. This
may be historical as I've found that it doesn't seem to matter much with
linux. If your not booting to your scsi HD then it doesn't matter. There
is some priorities with the ID which kinda conflict with the idea of
booting to id 0. The higher the id, the higher the priority. You would
think that id 6 would be required for the boot drive.

> Must the SCSI drive I"m installing to be the first device (id) on the
> chain.

> Currently nothing is set at 0-2.  CD-W on 3 and the drive on 4.

> Linux version is Redhat 5.1
> SCSI Card Adaptec 2940UU

> Thanks
> Stuart

1. scsi IDs order in scsi chain

Hi,

I have 3 drives and a tapedrive on a SCSI controller and need to add a RAID
drive.  My drives can take only IDs 1,2,3,4,5,6.  My tapedrive has been ID 4
and can be switched only in 1-7 range.  Before now, I had my 3 drives
occupiing IDs 1,2,3 and tapedrive ID 4.  For reason of space availability and
length of cables, I need to put the RAID between the tapedrive and the
storage array.  So I gave it ID 6.

In this configuration, I have problemaccessing my tapedrive. I can call
"mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and see the tapdrive responding, but the operation
never completes.  In addition, my RAID array is not configured yet and
generates lots of "saf" error messages.

Is is this because I created a chain with ID order 1,2,3,6,4?

What do I do in order to change special device files for the tapedrive
to have it on a different SCSI ID?

I run Solaris 7 on Ultra 1.

Thank you. David.

David Zlotchenko
Sr. Systems Analyst            Phone: (01) (423) 974-6601

University of Tennessee        WWW: http://www.oars.utk.edu/~zlotchen

2. SmartCertify reputation

3. daisy chain 6-drive disk packs? SCSI id

4. login error

5. How to set SCSI HBA's SCSI ID?

6. IPCHAINS just is not working!

7. IP Masq/IP Chains Question (forwarding smtp to 'internal' mail server...)

8. Serial Printer Setup Question

9. 2 SCSI HA's - can I control ID's?

10. x86: Why aren't SCSI ID's 8-15 enabled?

11. Doc for changing SCSI ID's on multiple HBA's in one box?

12. 1 scsi device in chain not detected, cannot install linux, some help please.

13. SCSI chaining question