Linux Distros (crosspost from alt.os.linux.slackware)

Linux Distros (crosspost from alt.os.linux.slackware)

Post by D » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:42:51

Hi All,

I know every now and then there would be someone who would bring up a
discussion on which distro is "the best."  So it's about time for me to
bring it up.  Please do not start a flamewar!!!  I just what some calm and
logical answers/opinions for discussion sake.

I will pose few questions (which does not directly asks you which distro is
the best), it's meant to get everyone's opinion and insights, here goes:

Prereq:
The fact is, there are no single distro out there that is "the best," for
everyone, it could only be "the best," base on an individual's taste.

Having that been said (my story):
For me, I don't like most other distros, b/c they come with way too much
"useless" packages, which would require me to spend lots of time going
through each one of it and figuring dependencies.  I find myself comfortable
with SCO (formerly caldera) Open Linux 3.x. and recently Slackware, b/c
these two distros (for the most part) comes with everything you need and
nothing you don't.  Additionally, other's add that Slackware is the closest
to Unix and is "the most stable" distro out there.  Being most similar to
Unix, I would have to spent more time to determine that.

(1) However, being the most stable linux out there. . .what kind of
statistics do we have to back that up?  I heard Debian is pretty solid as
well.

Redhat was my first distro that I've ever used (which I find that quite
common, being the fact that Redhat has the biggest market share), but I find
myself moving away from Redhat, b/c it was kind of buggy (especially with X
3.x and netscape 4.x) and the fact that it has too much useless packages.
I've recently was able to play around with Redhat 8.0, and I must said, it's
not that bad, it's actually pretty cool.  The install and gui is clean and
polished and it seems to be less buggy (I haven't encounter a bug YET).  But
it still comes with a ton of useless junks.

(2) What is your opinion on the Redhat distro?

(3) Please feel free to post WHY you think your distro is "the best," and
which distros you would avoid, please have logical and practical examples to
back it up.

Disclaimer: This posting is not intended to start any kind of flamewar,
please be conservative with what you said about other distros, remember one
man's garbage is another man's gem and vice versa.

Linux Distros (crosspost from alt.os.linux.slackware)

Post by Jim Bowerin » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 01:54:30

-snip-

Quote:> Disclaimer: This posting is not intended to start any kind of flamewar,
> please be conservative with what you said about other distros, remember
> one man's garbage is another man's gem and vice versa.

What's the point of this post?  Are you a troll or do you merely want to see
how much bandwidth you can waste?

Post by mjt » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 05:35:57

> I know every now and then there would be someone who would bring up a
> discussion on which distro is "the best."  So it's about time for me to
> bring it up.  Please do not start a flamewar!!!  I just what some calm and
> logical answers/opinions for discussion sake

.... use whatever works for you and your requirements.

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:49:11

> Hi All,

> I know every now and then there would be someone who would bring up a
> discussion on which distro is "the best."  So it's about time for me
> bring it up.  Please do not start a flamewar!!!  I just what some calm
> and logical answers/opinions for discussion sake.

> I will pose few questions (which does not directly asks you which
> distro is the best), it's meant to get everyone's opinion and
> insights, here goes:

> Prereq:
> The fact is, there are no single distro out there that is "the best,"
> for everyone, it could only be "the best," base on an individual's
> taste.

The fact is, every Linux distro will work much better, then the OS you
are using, to bring us this message.

Another fact:
Your message was NOT cross-posted, maybe multi-posted:
Please read: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

After all, there are numerous distros, try something out and use what
you like most, or one, which a friend of you is using, who might be
able to help you, case you get in trouble.

Good luck

Michael Heiming
--
Remove +SIGNS and www. if you expect an answer, sorry for inconvenience,
but I get tons of SPAM

1. alt.linux, alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.redhat

Hi!All

I am really sorry for this long mail, but it si urgent, so plz try ur best
to help me asap.

{MY AIM :- to modify the socket.c program in linux src code and
successfully   }{compile this modifed code. I just giving a print
satetement in socket.c. SO   }{that when the socket.o is used by some
socket program, it should use this new }{modified socket.o (i.e it
should display by default the contents of the print }{statement which
i added)}.

I have been trying to compile the socket.c program which i got from
the usr/src/linux/net dictory in linux. I am using RHL 7.3, but the
program gives the follwoing error:

In file included from socket.c:82:
/usr/include/asm/uaccess.h:1:3: unterminated #ifndef
In file included from /usr/include/net/checksum.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/net/tcp.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/net/tux.h:38,
                 from socket.c:86:
/usr/include/asm/uaccess.h:1:3: unterminated #ifndef

I am unable to understand what "unterminated #ifndef" signifies. I got
these errors on compilation of only socket.c(Can i compile socket.c
individually?). If NO then how do i compile it.

2. email bridge

3. alt.os.linux.yggdrasil (was: alt.os.linux.caldera)

4. RH6 & Imap/pop3

5. alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.misc

6. using diald and dip

7. Do not post/crosspost to alt.os linux anymore

8. Extract from Tar

9. alt.linux,alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.computer.security,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.security

10. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

11. Why crosspost to alt.os.windows-xp?

12. geforce 4 mx on linux (crosspost from comp.os.linux.setup)

13. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.questions, comp.os.linux.misc