Read UFS formatted disk?

Post by tai-lin tsen » Wed, 15 May 2002 13:14:46

I have a problem to mount a ufs(sun) format disk on my linux desktop.
This disk was newly formatted and labeled under the solaris.
But when I connect it to the linux desktop, its format cannot be
recognized. ( the ufs filesystem type never worked)
So the question is, how can I access the ufs formatted disk?
Do I need to download any software to make it work?

Thank you so much for the help

Ellen

Read UFS formatted disk?

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 15 May 2002 16:03:44

tai-lin tseng

Quote:

> I have a problem to mount a ufs(sun) format disk on my linux
> desktop. This disk was newly formatted and labeled under the
> solaris. But when I connect it to the linux desktop, its format
> cannot be recognized. ( the ufs filesystem type never worked)
> So the question is, how can I access the ufs formatted disk?
> Do I need to download any software to make it work?

If you can't get it working, using the ufs mount options mentioned
in 'man mount', what about putting the hd in a solaris box,
mounting it via nfs and copy the whole disk to your system.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Read UFS formatted disk?

Post by Vilmos Sot » Thu, 16 May 2002 01:56:31

> I have a problem to mount a ufs(sun) format disk on my linux desktop.
> This disk was newly formatted and labeled under the solaris.
> But when I connect it to the linux desktop, its format cannot be
> recognized. ( the ufs filesystem type never worked)
> So the question is, how can I access the ufs formatted disk?
> Do I need to download any software to make it work?

You need ufs support in your kernel either through as a module or
compiled right into the kernel. Also, you might need to add
"Advanced Partition Support" to your kernel. When you compile
your kernel, you can find it under "Filesystem Support".

Vilmos

1. reading Sun partitioned and ufs formatted MOD

Hi,

i want to mount a partition of a Sun partitioned and ufs-formatted
MOD. It looks like the kernel recognizes the Sun partition-table,
because compiling the kernel modul in makes the kernel printing:

sdc: sdc1 sdc2 ... sdc8

and not existent partitions are rejected by mount with the
message: device doesn't exist.

But mounting an ufs-partition leads to the message:

wrong fs type or bad superblock

Any suggestions,

        Olli.
---

Informatik Rechnerstrukturen    Tel +49 9131 85-7998, Fax +49 9131 85-7239
Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg, Martensstr. 3, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
http://faui30t.informatik.uni-erlangen.de:1200/Staff/ortschae/ortscha...

2. Iomega Dittomax pro Mounting

3. How do I get my disk drive to read DOS formatted disks?

4. signal(SIG_KILL, sighandler);

5. Non-ufs formatted raw disk access

6. Hercules Terminator does not work

7. hot to format disk with ufs

8. raid with 2 TB

9. Formatting zip disks for ufs

10. Q: Cannot mount Sun's ufs format SCSI disk

11. reading Sys V.4 (ufs) formated 3 1/4 inch floppy disk

12. How do I mount read-write a UFS filesystem from a floppy disk?

13. Reading UFS on Solaris Partitioned Disks