How to setup x window for ATI mach64 VGA card

How to setup x window for ATI mach64 VGA card

Post by Yanchun Zh » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi, my friend has pentium machine with ATI Mach64 VGA card.
He installed slackware 3.0 successfully, except the X window system doesn't run.
Anyone installed x window for ATI mach64 vGA card successfully?
If you did, could you mail me your x config file? Thanks for any help.

Yanchun

Post by thomas smit » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, my friend has pentium machine with ATI Mach64 VGA card.
> He installed slackware 3.0 successfully, except the X window system doesn't run.
> Anyone installed x window for ATI mach64 vGA card successfully?
> If you did, could you mail me your x config file? Thanks for any help.

> Yanchun

  In addition to getting the correct server beta-package,
make sure you add the correct LINK to the X Server once the
server is installed. I'm not sure a Slackware install sets
this link automatically.
  If 'startx' gives a hill of errors, see if the link is
set.

-T-

Post by Aaron J. Ki » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Hi, my friend has pentium machine with ATI Mach64 VGA card.
>He installed slackware 3.0 successfully, except the X window system doesn't run.
>Anyone installed x window for ATI mach64 vGA card successfully?
>If you did, could you mail me your x config file? Thanks for any help.

>Yanchun

There is a good chance you will need to download the new beta version of
the X window system--the new Mach64 card is not supported with the
version of X that is included on many Slackware CD's.  Get the new version
from:
             ftp.xfree86.org   or  http://www.xfree86.org

You will need to fish around the directories to find the correct files, but
they are fairly straight forward to find.  Make sure you read the files
so that you get all the files needed.

Post by Andrew Savor » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, my friend has pentium machine with ATI Mach64 VGA card.
> He installed slackware 3.0 successfully, except the X window system doesn't run.
> Anyone installed x window for ATI mach64 vGA card successfully?
> If you did, could you mail me your x config file? Thanks for any help.

I had to use the 'D' version of the new betas to get X to run.

Andrew.

Information Assistant     |  URL:     http://www.uea.ac.uk/~g093/welcome.html

Norwich NR4 7TJ  U.K.     |--------------------------------------------------
Phone 01603 593007        | All views are my own - who else would want them?

Post by Andrew Savor » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

> Sorry Andrew, but what does this mean?  I am having the same problem on
> a Gateway 2000 PCI/150 MHZ and this answer doesn't give a location/path
> .  Where are these D betas?

Oh, sorry!

I got mine from sunsite UK, ie:

  http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/XFree86/beta/Linux/Elf/

The file I needed for my Mach64 was X312DMa64.tgz.

I uncompressed it and stuck it in the same directory as the other X
servers - sorry I can't be more specific at the moment, but I'm not on my
linux box at the moment!

Andrew

1. ATI Mach64 PCIQ: ATI Mach64 PCI, Xwindow problems ?

You should install XFree86 3.1.  Its Mono, VGA16 and SVGA servers include
(unaccelerated) support for Mach64's.  For an accelerated server, you'll
have to wait until XFree86 >=3.2.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-403-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-403-492-1729           |

|  University of Alberta           +-----------------------------------+
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |

2. how to tell if your kernal has been buil with IP_FORWARD and/or IP_FIREWALL

3. HELP: X-Windows and ATI mach64 cards

4. Linux Net [Fido Style]

5. Linux x-window video driver for ATI Mach64 video card?

6. USR Sportster Winmodem & Linux

7. ATI Mach64 with ATI 264CT graphics controller and X-windows

8. #!/prog vs. #! /prog

9. ATI Mach64 and Fix Freq VGA Monitor?

10. Can't get ATI Mach64 embedded VGA to work.

11. Install ATI Mach64 VGA question

12. How to setup XFree86 for Gateway Vivitron700 monitor and ATI Mach64 GT?

13. Xfree setup for ATI MACH64 Proturbo