My rh5.1 installition didnt work properly, and im have troubles with modprobe.

My rh5.1 installition didnt work properly, and im have troubles with modprobe.

Post by Maxwe » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

1) Got a linux rh5.1 dist of uni, I think its one of those cheapbytes
deals.

2) installed it (no real problems)

3) Couldn't mount my cdrom nor my win95fat16 drives. I found out that
the problem was that my vfat.o and isofs.o modules wernt loading, so
once I manually loaded them I could mount stuff fine (took me 2 days
to find that one out).

before I manually loaded those modules I did a 'cat /proc/filesystems'
it gave

msdos
ext2
proc
<something else I cannot remember but wanst important>

4) ran sndconfig for my SB32 PnP, it all went ok until it went to test
the sound.

it said

"error running modprobe"

(I think its called modprobe)

5) ok - so I got suspecious. I got a run manprobe

it gave me the usual --help stuff

so I tried 'manprobe -v' for the version number....it printed out the
--help sutff

I tried 'manprobe -V' ... it printed out --help stuff

I tried most of the other switches, and it either came up with the
help screen, or it did nothing.

what im asking is

1) why doesnt the kernal (I am running kernald) automatically load up
vfat or isofs when I want to mount my win95fat16 or cdrom drives.

2) whats with manprobe - is it screwed? how is it exactly meant to
act? would manprobe screwing up explain why my cdrom woulnt mount
until I manually loaded the iosfs.o module?

3) argh - i want my consle to be 80x50. I boot from floppy.

on the floppy I have /etc/lilo.conf
but on / I do not have an etc/lilo.conf

I added the line

vga=extended

onto the floppy's /etc/lilo.conf

but it still booted up in 80x25

I tried

vga=ext

samething.
What am i doing wrong? I want 80x50 dammit ! :-)

another annoying thing that didnt work:

1) running X, running moduleconfigure, it said it couldnt find
module-info-2.0.34

(its not 2.0.34 - i just cant remember the exact kernal version)

I fixed it by going to
/boot

and renameing
modeule-info-2.0.34-0.6
module-info-2.0.34

-Richard Maxwell

Post by Der Guhvie » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> 1) Got a linux rh5.1 dist of uni, I think its one of those cheapbytes
> deals.

Good 4 U!

Quote:

> 2) installed it (no real problems)

2 x Good 4 U!

<minor snippage>

Quote:> 1) why doesnt the kernal (I am running kernald) automatically load up
> vfat or isofs when I want to mount my win95fat16 or cdrom drives.

It can't do that if they are not specified in /etc/conf.modules.

Quote:> 2) whats with manprobe - is it screwed? how is it exactly meant to
> act? would manprobe screwing up explain why my cdrom woulnt mount
> until I manually loaded the iosfs.o module?

It is aktually modprobe and no it is fine. You werent using
it properly. Maybe you should `insmod <name_of_module>'.

Quote:> 3) argh - i want my consle to be 80x50. I boot from floppy.

> on the floppy I have /etc/lilo.conf
> but on / I do not have an etc/lilo.conf

> I added the line

> vga=extended

> onto the floppy's /etc/lilo.conf

> but it still booted up in 80x25

> I tried

> vga=ext

> samething.
> What am i doing wrong? I want 80x50 dammit ! :-)

No need to cuss. Edit /etc/lilo.conf. The first line
should be:
        boot=/dev/fd0

The second can be:

                vga=ask

Save the file, put nice floppy in drive and run
/sbin/lilo. New lilo.conf transfered to floppy
then reboot. Select necessary kernel and note
number for 80x50 console. Change the vga=ask
line in lilo.conf to vga=number. Save, put floppy
in drive and run /sbin/lilo again. Now all should
be fine.
<more snipping to place>

--
Caio                       |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
The Guhvanoh <ViNyL 4eVeR> |  do not get until just after you need it.

1. Having trouble getting inbound telnet to work properly (updated)

We just installed a preloaded RS/6000 system.  We configured the network using
SMIT and tried to telnet into the machine from another workstation but it
wouldn't work.  We can't even telnet to ourself.  I don't remember the exact
error but it on the order of 'connection refused'

Outbound network connections work fine.  This was the first thing we tried
after getting the network configured.  We then tried telneting in from another
workstation and then all the fun began when it failed.  We then tried telneting
to ourself which also didn't work.

We tried starting up named, and routed, but it didn't help.  Named just made it
easier for us to type our commands and still get the errors.  :)

Telneting to port 25 from outside and from myself works so we do know that
sendmail is working...

We can ping ourself via IP number and hostname (with DNS running).

It doesn't make sense that it doesn't work.  As far as we can tell, all the
services that should be defined are in /etc/services..

Any ideas?

Box 700 Central Mail Room, 535 West 120 Street, 324 Thorndike
New York, NY 10027-6629                 (212) 854-8027

2. Problems compiling 'screen'

3. I'm having some trouble getting a PCMCIA card to work properly

4. HP Deskjet 895Cxi - anyone seen it working ?

5. Anybody else having trouble with Netscape under RH5.1 ?

6. loops in an rsh command line how ???

7. Trouble getting ftape to work properly with DJ-20 (QIC-80) floppy tape drive

8. Linux disconnects my internet connection!!!

9. Trouble with blade 1000, NIC not working properly

10. having trouble getting sound working...

11. Im having a problem w/ licq, please help....

12. Problem im having with his specific system

13. Having trouble getting 3D apps to work