Complete idiots guide to linux

Post by James Listo » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I bought the book called The complete idiots guide to linux for $20.  It
seems to come with a full version of both Caldera 1.3 and Star Office.
Other than the email support you get with the $60 caldera package, can
someone please explain the difference.  I had a full version of 1.1 a year
or so ago and I think I got basically the same support with newsgroups.
Their "support" didn't seem like it was really all that great.

I understand that Caldera needs to make money so they can keep upgrading the
package for us, but this seems like a big difference in price for basically
the same thing.

Please let me know what you think about this.

James Liston

Complete idiots guide to linux

Post by The Lone Scrib » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

It's entirely possible that one or more packages in the two versions may be
different, if they did multiple pressings of the same version over a span of
time. But you will find that there are a lot of books with distributions out
there that offer essentially the same thing as when you buy the bigger
package. Take cheapbytes, for instance. You can get a CD for a couple of
bucks that has everything on one (or more) distributions. What you don't get
is the printed manual, the pretty box, and, as you said, support. If the
support and manual and box is of no value to you, then just go with the
cheaper CD.

Post by Kevin Mart » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Take cheapbytes, for instance. You can get a CD for a couple of
>bucks that has everything on one (or more) distributions. What you don't get
>is the printed manual, the pretty box, and, as you said, support. If the
>support and manual and box is of no value to you, then just go with the
>cheaper CD.

When you go with Cheapbytes you also don't get the one-user license copy
of MetroX and BRU that RedHat bundles.  Not that I use either one....

(Isn't this more of a c.o.l.misc question than a .setup question?)