Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

Post by Huub van Nieker » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

L.S.,

after shutting down the modem-connection by 'ifdown ppp0' like I always
do, the system hang up completely. Reset was the only way the go on. Of
course I had to repair the system with 'e2fsck /dev/sda1' which worked
fine, but I lost the ability to dial up to internet: /sbin/ifup and
/sbin/ifdown are completely gone!!! How can I get them off the RH 6.1 CD
again? I hope I don't have to reinstall the system!!!

Thanks,

Huub

Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>L.S.,

>after shutting down the modem-connection by 'ifdown ppp0' like I always
>do, the system hang up completely. Reset was the only way the go on. Of
>course I had to repair the system with 'e2fsck /dev/sda1' which worked
>fine, but I lost the ability to dial up to internet: /sbin/ifup and
>/sbin/ifdown are completely gone!!! How can I get them off the RH 6.1 CD
>again? I hope I don't have to reinstall the system!!!

>Thanks,

>Huub

Those are in the initscripts package.

Anita

Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

Post by Huub van Nieker » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >L.S.,

> >after shutting down the modem-connection by 'ifdown ppp0' like I always
> >do, the system hang up completely. Reset was the only way the go on. Of
> >course I had to repair the system with 'e2fsck /dev/sda1' which worked
> >fine, but I lost the ability to dial up to internet: /sbin/ifup and
> >/sbin/ifdown are completely gone!!! How can I get them off the RH 6.1 CD
> >again? I hope I don't have to reinstall the system!!!

> >Thanks,

> >Huub

> Those are in the initscripts package.

> Anita

Hi Anita,

thanks for the answer, it works again! Remains 1 problem: at start there's a
remark about execvp not found or fail to initialize. Do you know what it
means?

Huub

Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi Anita,

>thanks for the answer, it works again! Remains 1 problem: at start there's a
>remark about execvp not found or fail to initialize. Do you know what it
>means?

>Huub

I am sorry to say I haven't a clue.  I did find a man execvp.  Maybe you can
unravel that.

Anita

Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

Post by John Verderbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi there
    I have a suggestion to you. In /usr/doc/ppp-2XX/ thers is a scripts
subdirectory. In it is 3 scripts ppp-on ppp-off and ppp-on-dialer. Thes
scripts have alwasy worked GREAT for me. First modify the scripts o match
your login and phone numbers. Make sure you edit the ppp-on -dialer script
for the pppoptions such as what device /dev sttty0  and modem speed. Then
put ppp-on and off on the usr/bin folder and installppp-on -dialer in
/etc/ppp. As long as your modem is configured correctly these scripts work
well.

Good Luck

Derb

--
 John Verderber

 "Rebel Without A Clue!"

1. How do you use ifup and ifdown while not at console?

I have a Linux computer on my network that connects my network to the
internet. I would like to be able to activate and deactivate the
connection (by using ifup ppp1 or ifdown ppp1) from another computer
on my network from which I am logged onto my Linux box through an
X-Windows session. I keep getting messages that say that users cannot
do this. I tried changing permissions, but I still cannot do it. Is
there any way to log onto a Linux box over your network as root? I can
only do that from the console. I've tried over X-Windows, but it says
wrong password. If I could log on as root from another terminal, that
would work, or if I could change things so that someone other than
root could activate ifup and ifdown, that would work.

TIA,
Ed

2. Kernel Compile Problems - 'as86 command not found'

3. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

4. x like pcanywhere?

5. user rights to use ifup, ifdown, ...

6. 3.3 Download Congestion?

7. ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

8. STOP-A (break) with standard AT keyboard and Raritan Guardian

9. Debian: doc for /etc/network/interfaces, ifup, ifdown

10. ifup/ifdown script oddity

11. ifup & ifdown questions

12. Hostname changes when eth0 dhcp goes ifup

13. "Bus error" please help, I am going insane!