internetting without being logged on

Post by aliboemboe » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:47:35

Hi,

I want to prepare a workstation with Linux of SuSe v7.3 and want to use it
as a dedicated internet station for the public. So I'd like to start
automaticly with for example Mozilla without being prompted with logging on
to the network or station. I've tried to do this by adding mozilla in the
/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup file. The webbrowser will start, but then i can not
type in the URL, the keyboard is not accesible then. And when this is done
can I then print to a printer connected to a windows computer with a shared
printer.

Who could give me the solution?

Thanks and best regards
Hassan

Post by stephan bea » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:53:27

> I want to prepare a workstation with Linux of SuSe v7.3 and want to use it
> as a dedicated internet station for the public. So I'd like to start
> automaticly with for example Mozilla without being prompted with logging
> on to the network or station. I've tried to do this by adding mozilla in
> the /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup file. The webbrowser will start, but then i
> can not type in the URL, the keyboard is not accesible then. And when this
> is done can I then print to a printer connected to a windows computer with
> a shared printer.

i don't have a solution, but a warning: Mozilla (at least all versions i've
used) have a * bug which you may run into. If you start Mozilla while
offline, it cannot resolve domain names after you go online. The problem
appears to be that it looks, at startup, to see if you're online. If you
aren't then it decides it will never try to resolve domains. The only
workaround i know of is to restart mozilla after going online.

--
----- stephan beal
Registered Linux User #71917 http://www.veryComputer.com/

internetting without being logged on

Post by dav.. » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:13:35

Quote:> automaticly with for example Mozilla without being prompted with logging on
> to the network or station.

You need to install autologin, then you can specify which user to use
to login in automatic. Put mozilla in the startup and your'e done.

Quote:> can I then print to a printer connected to a windows computer with a shared
> printer.

Use Samba to configure the printer.

Davide

1. Setting up OS5 for Internet dial-up workstation WITHOUT Internet Fast Start HOW ?

I posted this question a few weeks ago without any response.  I am sure SOMEONE
out there KNOWS how to do this, so I will ask again.

I will be using a OpenServer 5 with X as a workstation.  I need to be able to
make this workstation call out and connect via PPP to an ISP.   The IP
addressing will be dynamic until we get our own connection at work, then it
will be static.

How do I go about setting up the workstation for internet communications ?

I would like to be able to use mail, news, and DNS services.

Thanks,

Robert

2. popa3d-before-sendmail

4. .Signature

5. Am running a process in bg without an & ????

6. 2.2 kernel and PPC

7. Talk wont unless I am connected to internet

8. SCSI disk hang while creating partition

9. I AM VERY NEW AT THIS INTERNET.

10. Why am I not 'Logged in' ?

11. router log - I am under attack ??

12. How Can I know when I am logged on in a person logon on

13. Why am I not logged in wtmp?