Red Hat install error: needs BIOS32

Post by Paul Lemm » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me what this error means?  Is it refering to my system
BIOS (on a 486/33 with Phoenix BIOS) or possibly to my Future Domain
850-M SCSI controller?  I got the SCSI controller as a bundle with the
a CD-ROM.  It doesn't look like it has an on-board BIOS.  Thoughts?
--

Network Analyst                            Phone:  (503) 494-4537
Network Services                         US Mail:  840 SW Gaines Rd   GH113

Red Hat install error: needs BIOS32

Post by P. W » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I GOT the same message with my slackawre 2.3 distribution until I recompile
the kernel without support for PCI card (486/VLB machine).
I think you got the same problem !

Quote:

Post by Arther Den » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I GOT the same message with my slackawre 2.3 distribution until I recompile
>the kernel without support for PCI card (486/VLB machine).
>I think you got the same problem !

I get a line "no BIOS32 this release still depends on it.."
then LINUX boots fine.
Is there a problem..  (i'd like to not have to re-compile the kernal, as
I'm not a LINUX expert yet.

Thnanks,
Arther.

Post by Perry Gri » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|> Can anyone tell me what this error means?  Is it refering to my system
|> BIOS (on a 486/33 with Phoenix BIOS) or possibly to my Future Domain
|> 850-M SCSI controller?  I got the SCSI controller as a bundle with the
|> a CD-ROM.  It doesn't look like it has an on-board BIOS.  Thoughts?
|> --

|> Network Analyst                            Phone:  (503) 494-4537
|> Network Services                           US Mail:  840 SW Gaines Rd   GH113
|> Oregon Health Sciences University                  Portland, OR  97201-2985

It means you do not have a PCI system and you did not re-compile
your kernel so that your kernel is configured for your own hard-
ware.  You need to rebuild your operating system if you want the
message to go away.

You need to install the gcc C compiler, probably some libraries,
and the kernel source code to do this.  I haven't used RedHat, so
I don't know what is invloved in that process.  You then need to
read a kernel howto or README file and follow directions (all of
them).  The kernel configuration must be defined (make config or
similar) before you compile.  This is one of the steps in the
documentation.  Then be sure to install the COMPRESSED kernel or
you will have more problems.  Maybe you should set up the lilo.conf
file to boot either your new kernel or your original kernel.  That
way at the lilo prompt you could hit <tab> (I think) and tell it
to boot your old kernel if you somehow mess up along the way.

This is not a RedHat problem.  People who use Slackware see the
same message on boot-up.  If you feel that building a new kernel
is too big a step for you today, you could probably just live
with the boot-up message till you know more about linux.

Perry Grieb

--

Perry Grieb
M/S: CT-40D, Ph: 1-0486

Post by Or » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>: >I GOT the same message with my slackawre 2.3 distribution until I recompile
>: >the kernel without support for PCI card (486/VLB machine).
>: >I think you got the same problem !

>: I get a line "no BIOS32 this release still depends on it.."
>: then LINUX boots fine.

>I get that exact lame error any time I try to fight with the kernal for
>that *ing Wearnes CDD-110 piece of shit.

    That error doesn't have anything to do with the Wearnes CD drive.
Suggestion:  Have you tried doing a minimal setup to check and see
if the kernel can actually detect it:  Build a boot floppy that's
allegedly Wearnes-aware (the aztech CD-Rom driver is needed, I believe)
then rip everything out of your machine except for the video, the
floppy controller, and the controller for the Wearnes, make sure
that all the jumpers, &tc are set to their defaults, then attempt
to boot off the floppy.

    Yes, you won't get very far, but if the aztech CD-Rom driver is
able to detect the drive you'll be able to see the messages indicating
success before the system grinds to a halt asking for the root
filesystem.

    (Building minimal systems is an ancient and respected way of
hunting down bugs; I found myself doing this last night, when
trying to pull files off a retired IDE drive.  I was forced to
pull hardware out of retirement to build the system, and spent
a _long_ time swapping cards to get to the point where I could
boot the system, bring up the ethernet, and do recovery on the
obsolete drive.  My first attempt was to build the system up
completely, then power it on.  This didn't work.  So I backed
down to "Find a video card that works.  Good!  Find a IDE card
that works.  Good!  Find an ethernet card that works?  Hahahaha")

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ Dodgy hardware and power makes ethernet your
                  \/                                         enemy.

Post by Mad M » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: >I GOT the same message with my slackawre 2.3 distribution until I recompile
: >the kernel without support for PCI card (486/VLB machine).
: >I think you got the same problem !

: I get a line "no BIOS32 this release still depends on it.."
: then LINUX boots fine.

I get that exact lame error any time I try to fight with the kernal for
that *ing Wearnes CDD-110 piece of shit. It'll boot but the piece of
shit still does not work. Conclusion: Wearnes CDD-110 is not *ing
supported. Period. One bastard with the exact right computer out there
got the Wearnes to work for 2 minutes, and voila! It's "supported"!

With compatibility lists like that, who needs a *ing tabloid.

--
"When I collect two solar masses of AOL Disks, I will use them to detonate
the Sun" Web Page URL: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/po/poulosio/poulosio.html

  The Surgeon General Has Determined That MS-DOG is More *ive Than
                                Nicotine.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Card that WORKS!

3. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

4. How to reconfigure network without reinstalling os.

5. Have Red Hat Rembrandt. Need Red Hat working.

6. Creative Labs 3D Blaster & X HELP

7. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

8. Need help on xserver settings

9. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

10. Red Hat 5.1 install error: "error 2"

11. Error installing Red Hat Linux 7 - Anaconda error?

12. Red Hat Install - HD problem - "error opening directory"

13. Red Hat install error on PII 400Mhz