UMSDOS/Compress?

Post by Eric Ogr » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

 Even though I would prefer to repartition the HD, I wanted to see what Linux
was like - so I went ahead and installed it w/UMSDOS. My question: Can I now
compress my drive?
 This would allow me to get a LOT more free [and therfore install more
modules]. My guess is that the answer to this question is no, but I have a
forlorn hope that UMSDOS gets its information from MSDOS..

 Please E-mail me [I do read this newsgroup, but there are often a lot of
messages in it, and I don't get flagged if there are new ones.]

Thank you!
-Eric

-> Keyboard not found           Press [F1] to Continue <-

UMSDOS/Compress?

Post by Eric Ogr » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> You've probably already gotten eleven* answers, but no.  UMSDOS (really

Actually only two! (surprisingly enough)

Quote:> MSDOS FS underneath) just knows how to read the FAT and MS-DOS directory
> structure; there's no Microsoft code involved.  Under UMSDOS it is, I believe,
> possible to read/write DoubleSpace drives, because in UMSDOS actual Microsoft DOS
> runs.  However, I don't know of a way to make a compressed drive available to
> native Linux apps.

Figured that .. <sigh>.

Thanks.
-Eric

-> Keyboard not found           Press [F1] to Continue <-

UMSDOS/Compress?

Post by Alex Llo » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> Even though I would prefer to repartition the HD, I wanted to see what Linux
>was like - so I went ahead and installed it w/UMSDOS. My question: Can I now
>compress my drive?
> This would allow me to get a LOT more free [and therfore install more
>modules]. My guess is that the answer to this question is no, but I have a
>forlorn hope that UMSDOS gets its information from MSDOS..

> Please E-mail me [I do read this newsgroup, but there are often a lot of
>messages in it, and I don't get flagged if there are new ones.]

You've probably already gotten eleven* answers, but no.  UMSDOS (really
MSDOS FS underneath) just knows how to read the FAT and MS-DOS directory
structure; there's no Microsoft code involved.  Under UMSDOS it is, I believe,
possible to read/write DoubleSpace drives, because in UMSDOS actual Microsoft DOS
runs.  However, I don't know of a way to make a compressed drive available to
native Linux apps.

--Alex

UMSDOS/Compress?

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

You could make a dblspaced drive using the available free space, and
move most of your dos stuff to it, just not anything under \linux.
Not quite what I suspect you want.

--

UMSDOS/Compress?

Post by Tom Dy » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>You've probably already gotten eleven* answers, but no.  UMSDOS

(really >MSDOS FS underneath) just knows how to read the FAT and
MS-DOS directory >structure; there's no Microsoft code involved.
Under UMSDOS it is, I believe, >possible to read/write DoubleSpace
drives, because in UMSDOS actual Microsoft DOS >runs.  However, I
don't know of a way to make a compressed drive available to >native
Linux apps.

Linux does NOT use any form of DOS to read msdos file systems. Read the
kernel source and you will learn. :)

1. UMSDOS / Compressed Drives?

 Hello all -

Is it possible to compress my drives and have Linux still run under a UMSDOS
filesystem? Right now, I only have the "A" set installed, I would like ap, d,
n, and x. However, I don't have anywhere NEAR the space for them.
 I'm assuming since setup doesn't read compressed drives, if it is possible
for this to work, I would have to use pkgtool, but I don't really care.
 I suspect the answer to my question is no, but I do have a forlorn hope out
there.

  Thank you!
-Eric

-> Keyboard not found           Press [F1] to Continue <-

2. poweroff system in obp mode possible

3. UMSDOS on Compressed VFAT?

4. Help: ftp server take a long time to response!!

5. UMSDOS on compressed Win95 FAT?

6. Mustek scanner

7. Installling into a compressed disk with UMSDOS

8. finger log file

9. Umsdos utilities for umsdos 0.4 uploaded

10. COMPRESS (how much does it compress?)

11. Compressed filesystem or Compressed loop?

12. compressing on the fly: father process seems to end before popened compress

13. To compress or not to compress, that is the question.