Newsgroup offline reading... still a newbie!!

Newsgroup offline reading... still a newbie!!

Post by asag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've tried to figure out how to use several gui newsreaders, in an
effort to find one that allows me to read the newsgroups offline.

I noted a reply to a fairly recent request for the same, and I checked
out the apps mentioned.  I believe the problem is that I lack a
fundamental understanding of how offline reading works.  For example, is
offline reading supposed to be possible in Netscape?

Would somebody be able to point me to a fairly comprehensive lesson on
this topic?  (I have 2 Linux manuals - 1000 page monsters, but they only
touch briefly on the subject).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I can't be online for great
lengths of time.

M. A. Sage

Newsgroup offline reading... still a newbie!!

Post by Rich Rudnic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've the same basic problem: limited access time on the internet.

The trick to it for me was using leafnode.  This is a local news server
(it reads postings from your internet news server, and keeps them on your
local computer).  I've been using pan, but just now tried configuring
netscape to read from leafnode, and it worked just fine.  Leafnode was
 -very- simple to configure for a newbie like me.  Plus it only reads
postings from newsgroups I've subscribed to.  When I investigate new
groups, I simply select my internet news server directly, and if I want
to subscribe, switch to localhost and subscribe.

How I configured:

In /etc/leafnode/config:
        entered my internet news server
        entered my news server username
        entered my password

ran fetchnews -vvv as root (this got the list of newsgroups)

In netscape:
        Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Newsgroups Servers

                Add -> entered localhost as server
                                119 as port, and made it the default.
                                you don't need a password for your own
                                machine :)

In Communicator, right clicked localhost, selected subscribe to
        newsgroups, and subscribed.

leafnode enters a placeholder; next time you run fetchnews, it
        will get all the headers and bodies available for your
        subscribed groups.

This works great for me.  The only problem with this is if you
unsubscribe, leafnode will still fetch the newsgroup for a few
days.  If you have apache with php3 support, leafwa makes it easy
to have leafnode stop fetching.

Quote:> I've tried to figure out how to use several gui newsreaders, in an