Linux won't recognize video card

Post by Brad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have an IBM Aptiva that I can't get to run RedHat 6.  It's got an SiS530
8MEG video card on board, and I can't get linux to recognize it.  I have
all the specs for the card setup correctly and the monitor is set up too.
Is this a problem with Linux that it won't recognize onboard components?
Also I have an IBM G40 monitor.  The "g" line of 14" monitors are the G40,
G41, and G42.  All have the same max. resolution, scan rate, and everything
except the screen size is bigger (12.8", 13.0" 13.2") or something like
this.  Is it a problem if I tell the setup that I have a G42?  That is what
Win98 thinks I have and it works fine.  Thank you for reading my question.

Post by Artur Swietanowsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> try going to www.xfree86.org  .. get the latest version
> of X 3.3.5 is it i think.. then read the documnetation on how to
> insall it..

Better get the appropriate RPM packages from RedHat.

Regards,
Artur Swietanowski               http://www.bigfoot.com/~swietanowski
Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Linux won't recognize video card

Post by Brad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Okay, I downloaded the files from the ftp site.  So to get them into the
linux partition on the other HD?  I am confused again.  I don't think I
can copy them from windows becauuse windows doesn't recognize the linux
partion and vice-versa.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

> I have an IBM Aptiva that I can't get to run RedHat 6.  It's got an
SiS530
> 8MEG video card on board, and I can't get linux to recognize it.  I have
> all the specs for the card setup correctly and the monitor is set up
too.
> Is this a problem with Linux that it won't recognize onboard
components?
> Also I have an IBM G40 monitor.  The "g" line of 14" monitors are the
G40,
> G41, and G42.  All have the same max. resolution, scan rate, and
everything
> except the screen size is bigger (12.8", 13.0" 13.2") or something like
> this.  Is it a problem if I tell the setup that I have a G42?  That is
what
> Win98 thinks I have and it works fine.  Thank you for reading my
question.

> --

Linux won't recognize video card

Post by Bill Sherrar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just mount the windows partition so Linux can access it. My mount command
goes like this:
mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /mnt/drivec

Make sure you have a mount point created before mounting your drive.
You can do that by typing:
mkdir /mnt/drivec
Also insert your partition info where the the hdc1 is in my mount
command.Yours may be hda1 or something else.

Now you should be able to access your windows partition from Linux.

> Okay, I downloaded the files from the ftp site.  So to get them into the
> linux partition on the other HD?  I am confused again.  I don't think I
> can copy them from windows becauuse windows doesn't recognize the linux
> partion and vice-versa.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

> > I have an IBM Aptiva that I can't get to run RedHat 6.  It's got an
> SiS530
> > 8MEG video card on board, and I can't get linux to recognize it.  I have
> > all the specs for the card setup correctly and the monitor is set up
> too.
> > Is this a problem with Linux that it won't recognize onboard
> components?
> > Also I have an IBM G40 monitor.  The "g" line of 14" monitors are the
> G40,
> > G41, and G42.  All have the same max. resolution, scan rate, and
> everything
> > except the screen size is bigger (12.8", 13.0" 13.2") or something like
> > this.  Is it a problem if I tell the setup that I have a G42?  That is
> what
> > Win98 thinks I have and it works fine.  Thank you for reading my
> question.

> > --

1. Pb:linux doesn't recognize my pci video card

HELP!!!! Please help!!!!
I try to install linux on my PC, but after the boot disk, there are some
message indicating
that there is an unknown pci device on my computer.
Linux seems to work, but i can't launch x-window.
I'm sure of the settings of the video & monitor under xconfig86.(ati 3d
charger with 3D rage 2+ puce)

Question:
Is my version of linux too much old & how can i upgrade it after
installing linux if it is that?

PS. forgive me my poor english

Thanks in advance

2. Installing Zip drive (SCSI)

3. My video card isn't recognized in Linux

4. ipchains port forwarding problems

5. HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

6. ADSL PCI Conexant

7. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

8. IDE drive not recognized by BIOS

9. Linux won't recognize two ethernet cards simultaneously

10. linux won't recognize my network card

11. HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

12. LINUX won't recognize NE1000 ethernet card

13. Linux 1.2.13 won't recognize GVC ethernet card (in NE2000 or WD8013 mode)