network problems

Post by Andromed » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi..
I installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 using a network installation everything went
fine.
now when I boot into Linux I can't access the internet, I read every how-to
on this subject I still can't fix my problem. I have a cable modem, it was
working fine with the installation now it doesn't.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

network problems

Post by Aris Cru » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Is this your only machine?  If you can, set it up for your local net and
to see if you can ping your other machines.  If you can, post any error
messages, or try pinging ip addresses instead of dns names.

> Hi..
> I installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 using a network installation everything
went
> fine.
> now when I boot into Linux I can't access the internet, I read every how-
> on this subject I still can't fix my problem. I have a cable modem, it
was
> working fine with the installation now it doesn't.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank You.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Network problems with 3c595 on 100T network (detailed)

Hi,
        I have a networking problem which I have not managed to solve after
reading the relevant HOTWO files. Any help will be appreciated.

Setup:
  Intel Pentium Pro with 3Com 595 100Tx card connected to 100T network.

  The machine has WIN/NT installed and manages to access the network.

Software:
  - I have installed Slackware 3.1 (from InfoMagic CDROM)
  - run "netconfig" with appropriate parameters (double checked)

Symptoms:

  - Kernel recognizes right device
  - No error messages at boot time

  - ifconfig shows the device setup, but shows 0 on all TX and RX counts,
    including errors counts.
  - same for /proc/net/dev

  - routing table seems ok (as far as I understand these things)

Yet, I can't run a single network application.

ping to my gateway just hang. When I press ^c, it reports "NN packets sent, 100% packet loss".

I tried to ping the machine from another machine, and again no
communications.

The interesting thing is that "ifconfig" keeps insisting that nothing was sent
 nor transmitted.

The only thing that I can think of is that the device parameters are not set
right. In particular "ifconfig" reports:

eth0  Link encap: 10MBps Ethernet ...

when the net should 100MBps.

Can this be the problem? If so, how do I set the right mode for the device?

Thanks,

-Nir

2. Quad Fast Ethernet Install

3. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

4. memlogd on HP-UX

5. Curious Networking problem: Installed via FTP but now the Network won't start.

6. What is the *real* limit to SHMMAX on SCO OpenServer Release 5?

7. Network problem, can't ping other machines on same network

8. NIS problem

9. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

10. network problem - local network setup

11. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

12. Strange network problem (network suddenly stops working) - partial solution

13. Networking problem in Linux, but no problem in Windows on same hardware