You don't have to throw you REVEAL 4x ATAPI CDROM away...

You don't have to throw you REVEAL 4x ATAPI CDROM away...

Post by the aSian oRang » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

Nobody answered my question about why the cdrom wasn't being read correctly by
Linux, but I found something that might interest others with a REVEAL CDROM.

I installed the Slackware 3.0 (elf) Q-series 1.3.18 AIDECD (ide/atapi cdrom support)
and so far, it's reading the cdrom ok (I do ls on /cdrom and there is detection at
startup). I'm going to start installing the rest of the cdrom now. I'll be back to
tell all my errors (if I get any or not) under this subject header.

Possibly someone else should test this or mention it in the faq, but let me verify
it by installing something from it. To give it that additional thumbs up.

--

| "We reached for an outside point of view               |
| But it's out of touch with me and you                  |

You don't have to throw you REVEAL 4x ATAPI CDROM away...

Post by the aSian oRang » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Yes. The Install was successful. There were no errors with reading the CD. I did
have a problem with the man pages, the pages won't decompress to be read, probably
something I did wrong when adding the new kernel. That should be easy to fix.

--

| "We reached for an outside point of view               |
| But it's out of touch with me and you                  |
| I feel I'm walking into suicide                        |
| But you'll be right there by my side                   |
| To beam my message into space as I die" -Mr. Bungle    |
+----------------------------|Klaatu Verata Necktie|-----+

1. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

I just purchaced the Infomagic Developer's Resource Linux kit.  It came
with the Slackware 2.2 software (kernel 1.2).  The CDROM I have is on an
IDE/ATAPI interface.  When creating the boot and root floppies, I picked
the IDE/ATAPI kernel.  I boot and it recognizes the CDROM.  I create my
partitions (or rather recreate - I was using an old linux) and run
setup.  I choose IDE drive for the source and pick my packages.  It
starts to install (CD light flashes) and then errors out giving me a
unexpeced end of file for tar (the CDROM complains about a Buffer problem.)

Going out to root, I can see that the CDROM is mounted.  I can cd to the
directory and look around.  If I cat out a readme.lnx or readme.dos file
it will go so far then the buffer error.

Can anyone help?!!!!

Bob

2. Real Server

3. FYI: XFree on old systems - don't throw it away yet

4. Fix pnpbios switch

5. InfoMagic CDROM Installation on Reveal 4X CDROm

6. Pre-Newbie LinuxPPC/Linux-x86 question

7. Reveal 4X GCDR540 CDROM Driver?

8. how to find ISP behind an IP#

9. Reveal 4x CDROM Install

10. InfoMagic CD install-Reveal 4X (Goldtar R540GD) IDE/TAPI CDROM

11. getting my Reveal 4x CDROM to work with Linux????

12. I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card...

13. PIONEER 4X ATAPI CDROM