Matrox Millenium and SVGALIB

Post by Timothy Lot » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

My friend has a Matrox Millenium video card with 4 MB WRAM, which
works great in XFree86 3.3 (he uses it at 1280x1024x16-bit).  Anyway,
when he tries to run Quake for Linux in console mode (he doesn't like
the X version), which uses the SVGALIB, he can only get a maximum
resolution of 320x480x256.  No doubt, his video card is not supported
by svgalib 1.2.10 and also, it is not supported by the new svgalib
1.2.11 .  Is there anything he can do to get a higher resolution than
320x480x256 ?  I hoping he can get a higher resolution than 320x480x256,
but I'm not too optimistic, since the new version 1.2.11 was just
released
at the beginning of this month, and it STILL does not support ANY MGA
Matrox cards.  I have tried editing the libvga.config file--I put in
many
of the settings in that file that are in his XF86Config file.  But, this
still did not help.  Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Post by Evan R. Jeffr » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: My friend has a Matrox Millenium video card with 4 MB WRAM, which
: works great in XFree86 3.3 (he uses it at 1280x1024x16-bit).  Anyway,
: when he tries to run Quake for Linux in console mode (he doesn't like
: the X version), which uses the SVGALIB, he can only get a maximum
: resolution of 320x480x256.  No doubt, his video card is not supported

Has he tried using xf86quake (rather than xquake)?  As of xfree86 3.3, the
millenium server supports the DGA library necissary to us xf86quake.  It
runs full screen, allows use of the mouse, and in general fixes problems
with xquake.

Evan Jeffrey