Installing Linux as a second OS on a computer with a RAID controller

Installing Linux as a second OS on a computer with a RAID controller

Post by Micha » Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:41:19

Hi - I have a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP which has a Promise PDC20276 ATA 133
RAID controller. I have a two 80 GB HD RAID array which is my primary
(and only, at the moment) partition. It is an NTFS partition with XP
pro installed on it. I'd like to install some distribution of Linux
(haven't decided which one yet - though I'm kinda leaning towards
mandrake) on the same RAID array. So, how would I go about doing this?
Keep in mind that I have almost no experience with Linux. Thanks so
much!

Michael

Post by dav.. » Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:07:57

> mandrake) on the same RAID array. So, how would I go about doing this?
> Keep in mind that I have almost no experience with Linux.

Then don't do it. Recover an old PC and start getting some experience
on Linux before trying it into the big machine. Such kind of machine
are fairly expensive and to me that spell "work-or-company-computer".
I guess that if you*up the machine your PHB will not be pleased.

Davide

Post by Micha » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 02:11:58

> > mandrake) on the same RAID array. So, how would I go about doing this?
> > Keep in mind that I have almost no experience with Linux.

> Then don't do it. Recover an old PC and start getting some experience
> on Linux before trying it into the big machine. Such kind of machine
> are fairly expensive and to me that spell "work-or-company-computer".
> I guess that if you*up the machine your PHB will not be pleased.

> Davide

Couple reasons I need to install it on this computer: It's my only
computer. It's my home computer. I can't get another hard drive for
it. I've been told that it is possible to do - just kind of
complicated. Someone mentioned that (as I recall) Gentoo and Mandrake
support this Raid controller. Anyone know anything about that?

Installing Linux as a second OS on a computer with a RAID controller

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Post by Richard Pit » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 02:37:05

> Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

VMWare

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt                 C.E.O. Belcarra Technologies

Software Systems - design and implementation: Internet, Linux, Communications
USB, RNDIS, ATM, E-mail, SQL, Encryption, Security, Web, Embedded Systems