Trouble early on....

Post by Eraserhe » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install Redhat or Debian Linux and I am having no luck.
I boot the machine from my boot disk, then start the install and at a
certain point (on both versions) it flashes a bunch of text on the
screen and reboots my machine. I wonder if anyone has seen this and
whether it has anything to do with my processor being an AMD K6 or
not. I also have a 2.5 gig standard IDE hard drive, an EtherFast
Ethernet card, a MediaOne Cable modem, and a standard 33.6 fax
modem.....Any help would be great.....

Trouble early on....

Post by D.F. Yriar » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to install Redhat or Debian Linux and I am having no luck.
> I boot the machine from my boot disk, then start the install and at a
> certain point (on both versions) it flashes a bunch of text on the
> screen and reboots my machine. I wonder if anyone has seen this and
> whether it has anything to do with my processor being an AMD K6 or
> not. I also have a 2.5 gig standard IDE hard drive, an EtherFast
> Ethernet card, a MediaOne Cable modem, and a standard 33.6 fax
> modem.....Any help would be great.....

If this is happening after the step in installation where you used fdisk
to partition your disk and create a boot partition for Linux, it is
possible that your BIOS or disk controller does not support LBA (Large
Block Addressing).

If you don't have LBA support, then the entire boot partition must fall
within the first 1024 cylinders of the disk, which is approximately 504
MB.

-   Doug Yriart        http://www.vais.net/~dfyriart  -
-   Running on Linux                                  -