make: *** No rule to make target

Post by Rajiv Kukrej » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
    This is my first post to the linux guru's. I hope someone can help
me with this problem.

I have a DEC Alpha Multia 166MHz machine running Red Hat 4.1 running on
the 2.0.27 kernel.

I also, have a P120MHz on which I am running both Win95 and Linux
(Slackware) on separate drives.

- Needed to compile the kernel on the ALPHA, but for some reason (the
src files were not under /usr/src/linux-2.0.27). So, I downloaded a
newer kernel (2.0.30) from ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/ onto my INTEL
machine),

- I got 2.0.30 from the P120 to the Alpha.
- changed the ARCH variable in the makefile to alpha instead of i386
- Configured using make xconfig.
- Did not find a target called zImage in the makefile
- Tried a make all
- Got this message :-

make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/include/asm/i82489.h`, needed by
`/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/include/asm/smp.h`. Stop.

Note: The /usr/src/linux-2.0.30/include/asm is a link to
/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/include/asm-alpha

THE PROBLEM:
There is no file called smp.h under that path or anywhere on my drive -
for that matter. Please help !

Thanks,
Rajiv

1. iptables: rule with RETURN target just after a rule with ACCEPT target

Hi, I've seen in several scripts the following layout:

iptables criteria -j ACCEPT
iptables the_same_criteria_as_above -j RETURN

for example:

iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 100 -j ACCEPT
iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 100 -j RETURN

The last rule will be never matched, because all tcp incoming
connections will be accepted, and then will go throw the next chain.
So, What is the usefulness of this configuration?

IMHO, I think is for changing the scripts in a fast way (just
commenting on the first line will yield in default policy for the
INPUT chain)

TIA

2. What is DVMA ?

3. iptables: rule with RETURN target after a rule with the ACCEPT target

4. Thin client

5. Making changes to env variables and making them stick

6. Howto use mmap'ed and shared memory ?

7. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.

8. a linux based board you may be interested in

9. Making qla2200 ignore node name of the target device

10. problems with making multiple targets

11. making multiple targets with make

12. Make: can rules be changed during making?

13. make - "No rule for making..."