Linux install from diskettes.

Post by Yoan Hermid » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:04:07

I am trying to install Linux on an AT&T Globalyst 250, otherwise known as
an NEC Versa M or an NCR Class 3182.  The laptop does not have a CD-ROM
drive so I have decided I should install from diskettes.  Can anyone
suggest any documentation on how to actually *make* the installation
diskettes?

--
Yoan Hermida
Nueva York, EE.UU.

Post by dav.. » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:06:22

> I am trying to install Linux on an AT&T Globalyst 250, otherwise known as
> an NEC Versa M or an NCR Class 3182.  The laptop does not have a CD-ROM
> drive so I have decided I should install from diskettes.  Can anyone
> suggest any documentation on how to actually *make* the installation
> diskettes?

AFAIK Debian and Slackware are the only distribution that can be
installed creating the floppies using the standard "packages" from the
CD. See the documentation for these distributions. Another solution
(if you can), is hook the laptop to a desktop trought a PCMCIA NIC or
the serial/parallel port and copy the entire CD on the hard disk, then
perform the installation from there.

Davide

Linux install from diskettes.

Post by Steele Campbel » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:50:05

I've done the bare bones Slack install from diskettes (You may need as many
as forty 1.44'' diskettes) But I downloaded APACHE, SENDMAIL and SAMBA, so
your milage may vary. I suggest, if you have a PCMCIA port  to do what
davide suggested.

1. Linux install/boot diskette kernel with math emulation?

Hi.

Linux newbie.

I would like to install Linux on a machine that has no math
coprocessor; it's an old 486SX. Which means I need math emulation in
the kernel. To install on such a machine, I need install diskette[s]
whose kernel also has a math emulator.

Most distros these days seem to assume that machine has a math
coprocessor. So, your advice needed. Which distro's install diskette
kernel has a math emulator in its kernel?

Install diskettes I have tried all hang or crash. I have tried: Red
Hat 7.3, FreeBSD 5.0, tomsrtbt, and Vector Linux 3.2 (using the
i386ide boot diskette). At least Red Hat gave me a message why, the
others just reboot or hang.

And I am a newbie: I dont have another machine to rebuild a kernel,
which is why I am looking for a distro with an install diskette kernel
already built with a math emulator.

Hopefully, I need not go back to a very old build of a distro.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. netcom acct mail setup

3. creating linux install diskettes from CD

4. *inx in dos ...

5. Challenge: Installing Linux on 4MB System w/o Diskette

6. Qddb-based applications: Guestbook, Addressbook,...

7. "Segmentation fault" installing the Base diskettes on Debian Linux

8. Help setting up an HP Deskjet 400. Any advise on the filters I need to use? Thanks

9. Linux Installing using 3.5 Diskettes

10. Copying diskette--diskette

11. Substitute Install Diskette for Tape media

12. ThinkPad 820 - hangs booting from install diskette

13. Installing Solaris 8 (10/00) using ITU Diskettes