gateway / cable modem setup

Post by Zola » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a linux server on my network that I would like to use as my gateway
to the internet.  I have installed 2 nic's in the linux box and attach one
to my network the other to the cable modem.

Can someone give me a brief overview as to how I would setup internet access
for all computer on the network via the linux box.

Thanks

gateway / cable modem setup

Post by Tim Line » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a linux server on my network that I would like to use as my gateway
> to the internet.  I have installed 2 nic's in the linux box and attach one
> to my network the other to the cable modem.

> Can someone give me a brief overview as to how I would setup internet access
> for all computer on the network via the linux box.

> Thanks

1.  Install NICS
2.  Configure linux to recognize both NICs.  There's a HOWTO on the subject.
3.. Install IP Masquerading or Network Address Translation (NAT)

Helpful Links:

http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ipnat/
http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
http://members.home.net/ipmasq/
http://www.tsmservices.com/masq/

I can't claim much expertise here as I've been using FreeBSD to do this for the
last couple years.

gateway / cable modem setup

Post by Zola » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks

> > I have a linux server on my network that I would like to use as my
gateway
> > to the internet.  I have installed 2 nic's in the linux box and attach
one
> > to my network the other to the cable modem.

> > Can someone give me a brief overview as to how I would setup internet
access
> > for all computer on the network via the linux box.

> > Thanks

> 1.  Install NICS
> 2.  Configure linux to recognize both NICs.  There's a HOWTO on the
subject.
> 3.. Install IP Masquerading or Network Address Translation (NAT)

> Helpful Links:

> http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ipnat/
> http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
> http://members.home.net/ipmasq/
> http://www.tsmservices.com/masq/

> I can't claim much expertise here as I've been using FreeBSD to do this
for the
> last couple years.

1. DNS setup for private lan & cable modem gateway

I'm having problems getting my gateway box to do DNS for my internal
LAN.  I've got a linux (Redhat 6.1) system with two nics (one to the
cable modem & one to the hub) and 4 systems hanging off the hub on my
internal network (192.168.1.x ip addresses).  They talk to gateway box
okay, it talks to them okay.  The gateway box works fine with the cable
modem (a caching only nameserver so far).  What I want to do is to have
the other systems to resolve thru the gateway box.  I've been going over
the DNS howto and I'm getting more and more confused.  Any suggestions
out there for a simple forwarding caching DNS?  I do have a functional
IPchains script but I have to have DNS working for the IPchains thingie
to work correctly.

thanks,

mel

2. what could this mean?

3. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

4. SCSI warnings at boot & thereafter

5. Gateway 2000 "telepath" modems & cable-modems...

6. HELP: ftape.o cannot be loaded after kernel upgrading

7. Yet another cable modem setup question :( (Philadelphia area Suburban Cable)

8. virtual server with NCSA httpd1.5

9. linux setup for cable modem service by Cable TV Montgomery/ExpressNet

10. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

11. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

12. FreeBSD 3.2 gateway with @Home cable modem

13. Setting up Mandrake 8.0 as a Cable Modem Gateway.