Please Help! Can't install slackware3.0 from CD or HD

Please Help! Can't install slackware3.0 from CD or HD

Post by db » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've tried all kinds of things if anybody can shed some light I would
appreciate it immensely. So would my head(huge headaches).

Derek

Check out my web page here:
http://extremelydance.home.ml.org

Join the Dance Music Web Ring:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/derek.bowes/webring.htm

Please Help! Can't install slackware3.0 from CD or HD

Post by C Sanjayan Rosenmun » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hmmm, instead of more snide remarks (however much I may *agree*  with them)

lets give him an idea of what we need to help him:
What type of HDD controler?
What type of CDROM?
What partition, on which HDD, is he trying ti install from?
What errors are you getting when you try?
That should do for a *start*. . .

> > I've tried all kinds of things if anybody can shed some light I would
> > appreciate it immensely. So would my head(huge headaches).

> Thanks for the detailed description of the problem.  The answer is
> obvious:
>         Take some Aspirin, and if the pain persists, see you doctor.

> Regards
> --

> "Human kind cannot bear very much reality." --T.S.Eliot

Sanjay

Please Help! Can't install slackware3.0 from CD or HD

Post by db » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Sorry I didn't give any info. I posted b4 and didn't receive any help and was
getting very frustrated.
Anyway, I finally got it installed from floppy, but, I still can't access CD
Here is some info:
IDE HD Controller
Samsung 24x scr-2430(secondary slave)
Two separate HD's, 1 5.2 with 1active(C:), and 1 extended with 3(D:, E:, F:)
logical all FAT32
and another 202MB just for Linux. I had changed D: to FAT16 but still nothing.
When I run fdisk and use p option for /dev/hda1 it gives a whole bunch of stuff
saying the start and ends don't match and it goes up to /dev/hda14, how is that
posible. It's hard to make sense of anything in that screen because it is so
messed up and jumbled.
Only errors I got was "Error mounting cd-rom" and Directory does not exist for
installation from HD
And  I do  have fat32.i but not sure how to install it. 3 separate files right?
What do I do with them.
Anything you can help with and add is appreciated.

Post by msis.. » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>When I run fdisk and use p option for /dev/hda1 it gives a whole bunch of stuff
>saying the start and ends don't match and it goes up to /dev/hda14, how is that
>posible. It's hard to make sense of anything in that screen because it is so
>messed up and jumbled.

Let's start here. IF the second hard drive is to be dedicated to
linux, then you will not harm anything by using fdisk to delete
_all_ of the partitions on that drive. I have never set up linux
on a drive using the secondary controller, so I don't know if it
is going to be /dev/hdb, or /dev/hdc.

Anyway, do it one step at a time until you are sure that you have
it right. You can start the installation with a bare(non-partitioned)
drive. All you need are the boot/root floppies and some way to reach
the install files on another disk or the cdrom

Quote:>Only errors I got was "Error mounting cd-rom" and Directory does not exist for
>installation from HD

The directory selection process threw me as well. Try moving up one
step in the 'tree'. That is, if you have copied the needed files to
D:\slack\install\.... and you give D:\slack as the install dir. and
it produces errors, then try giving d:\slack\install as the dir. or
just the opposite. I can't remember exactly how I solved this. It's
been too long.

One solution that is guaranteed to work is to get a scsi controller
and a scsi cdrom. Scsi top to bottom, left to right, and backwards
is so much easier to deal with. Fewer cable tangles in the box just
for starters...it's so nice to have one cable for the floppy and
one cable that snakes all the way from the motherboard, to disk0,
then to disk1, then to the tape drive, and finally ends at the cdrom.