HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!

Post by Raghavendra B » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I wanted to modify some files in /etc. So I moved /etc to /etcc and came
out of su mode. Now I can't so anything (telnet, ftp, login, su, etc). I
get the following message for whatever command I type.
/bin/hostname: cann't open cache /etc/ld.so.cache

My system configuration is Linux DLD 5.4 (kernel version is 2.0.33).
Please send the reply to my personal email address:

Please help me restore URGENTLY. This is VERY VERY CRITICAL!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Raghavendra B K

HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!

Post by Daniel Robert Frankl » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
>I wanted to modify some files in /etc. So I moved /etc to /etcc and came
>out of su mode. Now I can't so anything (telnet, ftp, login, su, etc). I
>get the following message for whatever command I type.
>/bin/hostname: cann't open cache /etc/ld.so.cache

Not surprising really :-)

>My system configuration is Linux DLD 5.4 (kernel version is 2.0.33).
>Please send the reply to my personal email address:

>Please help me restore URGENTLY. This is VERY VERY CRITICAL!!!!

I would suggest using a boot disk. I'm not familiar with 'DLD' but I'm
sure it has one - otherwise grab the ever-reliable Slackware Boot 'n' Root
disks. I'm afraid you'll have to hit reset - since your root account no
longer "exists", you can't shutdown cleanly.

Assuming you use the Slackware or Debian boot or rescue disks (other
systems would likely be similar) you should boot with these (debian is
just one "rescue" disk, Slackware two IIRC) and alt-F2 to a console. Now
mount your root partition (e.g., partition 3 on the first IDE hard drive):

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt

then move /etcc back to where it belongs:

mv /mnt/etcc /mnt/etc

type "umount /mnt", and reboot. Hopefully you will now be back in
business.

I have to ask - if the system is "critical" why did you f*ck around with
it without knowing what the hell you were doing? I would suggest trying
things like this with a non-critical system in future!!!

Oh well. Hours of fun for all the family.

- Daniel
*       Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering

HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!

Post by Wallace Barne » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Now that /etc/ is now /etcc. Try Creating a symbolic link to the from the
/etcc to /etc. For example:
    ln -s /etcc /etc
this should give you access to your utilites (telnet, .....) again.

Wally

> Hello,

> I wanted to modify some files in /etc. So I moved /etc to /etcc and came
> out of su mode. Now I can't so anything (telnet, ftp, login, su, etc). I
> get the following message for whatever command I type.
> /bin/hostname: cann't open cache /etc/ld.so.cache

> My system configuration is Linux DLD 5.4 (kernel version is 2.0.33).
> Please send the reply to my personal email address:

> Please help me restore URGENTLY. This is VERY VERY CRITICAL!!!!

> Thanks in advance.

> Regards,
> Raghavendra B K

HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!

Post by Juergen Hein » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Now that /etc/ is now /etcc. Try Creating a symbolic link to the from the
>/etcc to /etc. For example:
>    ln -s /etcc /etc
>this should give you access to your utilites (telnet, .....) again.

I doubt it, he'd need write permissions on / ... 8-/, still ..
[...]

>> I wanted to modify some files in /etc. So I moved /etc to /etcc and came
>> out of su mode. Now I can't so anything (telnet, ftp, login, su, etc). I
>> get the following message for whatever command I type.
>> /bin/hostname: cann't open cache /etc/ld.so.cache

>> My system configuration is Linux DLD 5.4 (kernel version is 2.0.33).
>> Please send the reply to my personal email address:

... either interrupting lilo and booting into single user mode ...
boot: /boot/kernel_name S
... can work, though init might be installed such that /sbin/sulogin
is called then. If so the hard way ...
boot: /boot/kernel_name init=/bin/sh
/bin/mount -w -o remount /
mv etcc etc
sync
sync (cannot hurt)
a deep breath
a hard reset
[...]
... and yes, it works.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!

Post by Frank v Waver » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> sync
> sync (cannot hurt)
> a deep breath
> a hard reset
> [...]
> ... and yes, it works.

wouldn't just unmounting be easier?

--

                        Frank v Waveren

                        ICQ# 10074100

1. SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Hie there,

                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
my Linux to enable networking.

My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

                I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
the superuser root.

2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep" then
"make clean" after the first one has been completed

3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
end of the compilation which goes as follows

"Root device is (3,2)
Boot sector 512 bytes
Setup is 4336 bytes
System is 560 KB
System is too big
Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
MISSING. ( something about *.o)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.

2. chat failure after remote hangup -- please help diagnose

3. vmode and linuxppc....

4. HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!

5. Linux backups

6. SOS SOS SOS

7. Configuring Linux as an Apache intranet servers

8. S.O.S.- S.O.S. Problems Installing Linux from Spain

9. SOS - question on accton - SOS

11. SOS xfree86 is not working SOS please HELPPP