X gives "unknown RAMDAC type 's3gendac'"???

X gives "unknown RAMDAC type 's3gendac'"???

Post by Jaso » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Help!  I have just installed Slackware 3.5 to replace Slackware 3.0,
and have carried over any old configuration files that might help...

However, I cannot get X running!
I have an S3 Virge (c325) video card with 2MB.  It worked with Slackware
3.0, with the file XF86_S3V.  I copied the old XF86_S3V and XF86Config
into /tmp of the new install, just in case.
Upon providing information as shown in the old config file to the
xf86config program, I attempted to do X -probeonly, getting the
following output without X starting:

(**) S3V: Unknown RAMDAC type "s3gendac"
*** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
resolved.***

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno= 111  giving up.

xinit: Connection refused (errno 111):
       unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3):
       Server error.

I also tried just copying the old XF86Config and XF86_S3V files to the
appropriate places in the new installation, with a symlink between
XF86_S3V and X, and once again tried X -probeonly, but got the same
"unknown RAMDAC type 's3gendac'" message.   Anyone have any idea what is
going on here???
Any advice would be helpful, I'm at my wits' end :(

Thanks in advance,
Jason
(to reply, remove the obvious)

X gives "unknown RAMDAC type 's3gendac'"???

Post by Ron Cleave » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem.  Run xf86config again and when you get to the point
of specifying a RAMDAC, press q to quit without entering one.  It worked for
me.

Ron Cleaver
Active Software, Inc.

>Help!  I have just installed Slackware 3.5 to replace Slackware 3.0,
>and have carried over any old configuration files that might help...

>However, I cannot get X running!
>I have an S3 Virge (c325) video card with 2MB.  It worked with Slackware
>3.0, with the file XF86_S3V.  I copied the old XF86_S3V and XF86Config
>into /tmp of the new install, just in case.
>Upon providing information as shown in the old config file to the
>xf86config program, I attempted to do X -probeonly, getting the
>following output without X starting:

>(**) S3V: Unknown RAMDAC type "s3gendac"
>*** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
>resolved.***

>Fatal server error:
>    no screens found

>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno= 111  giving up.

>xinit: Connection refused (errno 111):
>       unable to connect to X server
>xinit: No such process (errno 3):
>       Server error.

>I also tried just copying the old XF86Config and XF86_S3V files to the
>appropriate places in the new installation, with a symlink between
>XF86_S3V and X, and once again tried X -probeonly, but got the same
>"unknown RAMDAC type 's3gendac'" message.   Anyone have any idea what is
>going on here???
>Any advice would be helpful, I'm at my wits' end :(

>Thanks in advance,
>Jason
>(to reply, remove the obvious)

1. X gives "unknown RAMDAC type 's3gendac'"???]

[...]

2. Using LILO to dual boot Win98 and SuSE

3. 'stty dec' gives "unknown mode: dec" in 2.3

4. HELP : Cyrix + ASUS HX + serial

5. S3:Unknown RAMDAC type "ibm_rgb52x"

6. Extraction of text in one line

7. "syslogd: unknown priority "24" " error - won't boot!

8. T_primitive 12

10. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. 3 Qs: sio0 overflows, "unknown class 'root'", identd