HELP: Mounting CDROM drive and a FAT32 drive

HELP: Mounting CDROM drive and a FAT32 drive

Post by Mark A. Specja » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have been unable to mount my cdrom drive as well as my FAT 32
drive(Win98/dos).

I also wanted to know how do I check the partitions I made for Linux(so that
I can check hd??)

I found this example on the net:
    mkdir /dos
    mount -t msdos -o conv=text,umask=022,uid=100,gid=100 /dev/hd??  /dos

Also is the any program that I can write to a Linux partition from Windoze?

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

HELP: Mounting CDROM drive and a FAT32 drive

Post by Mark A. Specja » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am running on a Kernel 2.0.32.
I hda1 and hda2 are Win98 FAT32 partitions.
I tried to
    mkdir /fat
    mount -t fat32   /dev/hda2  /fat
The type has to be specified!
This still did not appear to work.  I was wondering if my kernel supports
FAT32, since I got an error saying it doesn't.  If I need a kernal which one
do I need and where do I get it.  My CD has experimental kernals up to
2.1.70.  If I need to get a new kernal how do I go about doing this since I
am fairly new to Linux.

>I have been unable to mount my cdrom drive as well as my FAT 32
>drive(Win98/dos).

>I also wanted to know how do I check the partitions I made for Linux(so
that
>I can check hd??)

>I found this example on the net:
>    mkdir /dos
>    mount -t msdos -o conv=text,umask=022,uid=100,gid=100 /dev/hd??  /dos

>Also is the any program that I can write to a Linux partition from Windoze?

>Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

HELP: Mounting CDROM drive and a FAT32 drive

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am running on a Kernel 2.0.32.
> I hda1 and hda2 are Win98 FAT32 partitions.
> I tried to
>     mkdir /fat
>     mount -t fat32   /dev/hda2  /fat
> The type has to be specified!
> This still did not appear to work.  I was wondering if my kernel supports
> FAT32, since I got an error saying it doesn't.

It probably doesn't.  You need a patch to your 2.0.32 kernel (available
from http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/) or the 2.0.34 or 2.0.35
"mainstream" kernels or a recent 2.1.x kernel (I don't recall when it was
added in).  I recommend you get the 2.0.35 kernel, which is a
several-megabyte download followed by a recompile.  With some
distributions you may be able to get a precompiled 2.0.34 or 2.0.35
kernel.

When you've got the kernel with FAT-32 support, you do *NOT* use a "-t
fat32" in the mount command.  The proper type is either "msdos" or "vfat",
depending upon whether or not you want long filename support.  The kernel
automatically detects the "bitness" of the FAT (12, 16, or 32).

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Post by Tom Neilso » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I have been unable to mount my cdrom drive as well as my FAT 32
> drive(Win98/dos).

> I also wanted to know how do I check the partitions I made for Linux(so that
> I can check hd??)

> I found this example on the net:
>     mkdir /dos
>     mount -t msdos -o conv=text,umask=022,uid=100,gid=100 /dev/hd??  /dos

> Also is the any program that I can write to a Linux partition from Windoze?

> Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As for your first question, the following is a FSTAB file that I use on a
Linux/Windows98 machine.

/dev/hda2        /win98        vfat          defaults    1 1
/dev/hda3        /dosapps    vfat          defaults    1 1
/dev/hdb1        /                  ext2          defaults    1 1
/dev/hdb2        swap          swap        defaults    1 1
/dev/hdc1        /mirror        ext2          defaults    1 1
/dev/hdd          /cdrom        iso9660    noauto,ro  0 0
none                /proc           proc          defaults    1 1

To mount the cdrom when you want type "mount /cdrom" at the command prompt.
Please ensure that you do have a directory named "cdrom" off the root.

Please also note that if you compress the FAT 32 drive, you will only see the
host, not the compressed volume.

As for the second question, GOD I hope not!

Good Luck

1. Problem with mounting CDROM on a SCSI CDROM drive

Hello,

I have just received a CDROM from a supplier, with Windows95 and Linux
versions of the same software on it. When I attempt to mount this disk
with Redhat Linux V5.1 as an ISO9660 file system, I get the following
error:

mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write protected, mounting read-only
scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id5, lun 0,CDB:Read (6)0000100100
Current error sr0b:00 sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates L-ec uncorrectable error
CD-ROM I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 64
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0b:00 iso_blknum 16 block 32
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
or too many mounted file systems

When I use another CDROM, the mount succeeds.

Does this indicate a problem with the CDROM? The CDROM is readable
from my Windows95 machine.

Please email if poss, because I don't have easy access to these
newsgroups.

Thanks, Paul

--
Paul Moore

phone: +32 3 449 4793

2. Apache 1.2b7 process growing slowly, now 7.4MB

3. Finding symbols at runtime

4. Help - Mounting DOS and CDROM drives in Linux

5. Cutting & pasting in xterms - how?

6. Help with mounting cdrom & floppy drive

7. Wanted: a.out format for PPP

8. Help mounting SoundBlaster CDROM Drive?

9. Mounting a IDE CDROM drive.. help

10. Help RH5.0 install won't mount CDROM drive

11. HELP!!! cdrom drive does not mount

12. HELP: Can't mount a Panasonic CDROM drive!