Installing 2 Large EIDE Drives

Post by mostrows?? » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am planning to install Linux on a system with 2 large EIDE hard drives (540,850 MB).  I am hoping to install on two or more partitions spread over the two drives.

I know  that I have to use the 'hd=cyl,hds,sectors' parameter to specify the geometry of the drives, however I have no idea what to do with 2 drives:
        Is it necessary to specify parameters for any drive other than the one which is being booted?
        Is this something that should not be a consideration at boot time -rather left for later when the drives are mounted?
        If drive geometry is required at boot time, how do I specify which drive each parameter is for?

Michal Ostrowski

Post by Mark Lo » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I am planning to install Linux on a system with 2 large EIDE hard drives (540,850 MB).  I am hoping to install on two or more partitions spread over the two drives.

>I know  that I have to use the 'hd=cyl,hds,sectors' parameter to specify the geometry of the drives,

Really??  Maybe a year or two ago, but not with most modern kernel versions.
Don't fiddle with the "hd=" rubbish unless necessary.

Have a look at the README.ide file (available from sunsite, look in the index)
beforehand to understand this better.
--

For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide

Post by Joerg Mert » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

:
: I am planning to install Linux on a system with 2 large EIDE hard drives (540,850 MB).  I am hoping to install on two or more partitions spread over the two drives.
:
: I know  that I have to use the 'hd=cyl,hds,sectors' parameter to specify the geometry of the drives, however I have no idea what to do with 2 drives:
Not even that !

:       Is it necessary to specify parameters for any drive other than the one which is being booted?
No !

:       Is this something that should not be a consideration at boot time -rather left for later when the drives are mounted?
:       If drive geometry is required at boot time, how do I specify which drive each parameter is for?

You should get a newest slakware distribution, with a kernel 1.2.*,
cause they recognise drives bigger than 504Megs :)

The only thing you should be sure of, is to take the kernel-images
below cylinder 1024. Should work then :)

cu
--
Solong & Happy Hacking

| Stardust's LiNUX System   :   Data, Fax & Voice 49 30 3627345        |
| PGP 2.6.2i Key on Demand  :   ZyXEL Link                             |
`*** Fatal Error: Found [MS-Windows] -> Repartitioning Disk for LiNUX...'

1. Large EIDE drive installations

I am having problems installing linux on my large EIDE drive (disk 2). Linux does not
recognise the drive at all. I have two drives a 420Mb EIDE and a 730Mb EIDE.

The first drive has 32 sectors per track (which linux hates) and the second drive
has only 16. My first drive contains only DOS/Windows, the second has OS/2 and
hopefully one day Linux.

I have tried with the boot: RAMDISK hd= ..... option, but that only changes
the recognition of my first drive.

Any ideas at all? The FAQs etc haven't been a lot of help.

Thanks

Wayne.

2. PPP problem

3. Old BIOS, Large EIDE Drive and setmax program

4. XF86Config

5. Large EIDE drives and Linux

6. AA : installing java in Linux

7. Large EIDE Hard Drive

8. Hard Drive and Mem Config. Suggestions

9. Large EIDE drive

10. Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard and large (>30gb) eide drives

11. Q: 2.2.8 and limits on large EIDE drives

12. Large EIDE Hard Drive Trouble