WIn98 logon

Post by john x » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

All:
Need help for win98 log on to linux.
I have Redhat linux 5.2 installed on PII 400. I am trying to telnet and
ftp to this linux server from a machine which OS is win98. But it
failed. The message from linux is "Incorrect user name" or "Password" is
not correct. Even
anonymous ftp can not log on to linux from this machine. The fact is
that, any
other machines in my network (WIN NT, WIN95 and linux) have no problem
logon to this linux machine using the same username and password which
failed
log on from that WIN98.

Anybody has some clue or can give me some seggustion what's wrong?

Thank you very much

John

WIn98 logon

Post by Yan Seine » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Possibly because W98 uses encrypted passwords?  I bet you don't have SP4
installed on NT either...

Do a search of the MS KB and disable encrypted passwds in the W98
registry.

Yan

> All:
> Need help for win98 log on to linux.
> I have Redhat linux 5.2 installed on PII 400. I am trying to telnet and
> ftp to this linux server from a machine which OS is win98. But it
> failed. The message from linux is "Incorrect user name" or "Password" is
> not correct. Even
> anonymous ftp can not log on to linux from this machine. The fact is
> that, any
> other machines in my network (WIN NT, WIN95 and linux) have no problem
> logon to this linux machine using the same username and password which
> failed
> log on from that WIN98.

> Anybody has some clue or can give me some seggustion what's wrong?

> Thank you very much

> --
> John

WIn98 logon

Post by Drew Northu » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

password?  I've found that they can reek havoc on logins.  I have no idea
about the anonymous ftp problem.  Hope this helps.
Drew Northup, N1XIM

>Need help for win98 log on to linux.
>I am trying to telnet and
>ftp to this linux server from win98. The message from linux is "Incorrect

user name" or "Password" is
>not correct. Even
>anonymous ftp can not log on to linux from this machine. Thank you very
much