Official RedHat vs. non-offical...

Post by lngu.. » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I have a little dispute w/ my friend.... we're bascially just
getting into linux, and we got the cheapbytes version.... well, my
friend has run across a lot of probs w/ the setup of all the files,
they aren't done right, according to some progs he installed.  Also,
he says that the offical red hat is different form the other
distributions (other than the extra stuff... i'm talking about the
actual setup).  Is that true?  Is the official red hat better?

1. cheapbytes vs official redhat distribution?

Dear comp.os.linux.misc,

I currently run RedHat 5.2 and am planning to upgrade to 6.1. I
originally bought 5.2 in the official RedHat distribution, complete with
manual (not bad) and technical support (pretty poor the one time I
needed it), and this time around I just need the new files. I was about
to buy from cheapbytes (or someone similar) when I noticed that RedHat's
official version is said to include some additional software that is not
freely distributable, and that is not, therefore, part of the cheapbytes
alternative. What I can't find is a description of what this additional
software is. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

David

2. TeX viewer for RS/6000?

3. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

4. How to build a RAW socket ?

5. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

6. Alert System

7. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

8. Linux server & cable modem

9. Caching vs non-caching SCSI (was 386/ESDI vs Pentium/SCSI)

10. Question - Official vs Complete Red Hat Linux

11. Official vs CheapBytes RH Linux

12. Ext2fs vs xiafs : Official comparison

13. Download CD vs Official CDs