mandrake 8.2 & dyndns.org & netopia dsl modem & linksys router

mandrake 8.2 & dyndns.org & netopia dsl modem & linksys router

Post by Chris Lebe » Sun, 19 May 2002 13:40:17

1. i'm a newbie to linux. have messed with it several times. but am
trying to get into it alot more.

2. i'm good at fartin' with stuff and windoze and hardware, etc..

3. trying to get a web server running at home on my dsl. wanting to
use dyndns.org and have already set up an account (and when i go to my
dyndns.org url it hits my netopia dsl modem/router).

4. my dsl comes into my netopia dsl modem (which also has a 4 port
router built in) then out to my linksys wireless router (into the wan
port). dsl is dhcp.

5. my linux box and all of my windoze machines are connected to this
linksys. i use my linux box as a kinda file server (mp3's and such)

6. should i put my linux box straight into my netopia? and if i do can
i still connect directly to it or am i going to have to go through the
net to dump my personal (IE mp3's)files to it?

7. need some sort of faq about doin the dyndns thing and how to set it
up in linux. where would i find such a thing?

8. i can figure out the www part. just need some config help. you can
reply to the groups and/or to goober AT privacy DOT nu     TIA!

mandrake 8.2 & dyndns.org & netopia dsl modem & linksys router

Post by jan geertsm » Sun, 19 May 2002 17:48:07

3. apache would be logical choice
5. apache and samba are nice
6. makes sense, you need different subnets, or to static routing because
everything behind your linksys would know where to find it's peers, but you
need some sort of differentiation in your routing table that the linux
machine is hooked up to a different router. if you set it by using the
internet ip addresses I doubt that the traffic will flow outside of your
premises.
7. dyndns.org has a nice help page, but basically you need a tool like
ddclient to get your dyndns updated when your ip-address has changed.

Quote:> 1. i'm a newbie to linux. have messed with it several times. but am

Post by Dave Bro » Mon, 20 May 2002 00:51:12

> 3. trying to get a web server running at home on my dsl. wanting to
> use dyndns.org and have already set up an account (and when i go to my
> dyndns.org url it hits my netopia dsl modem/router).

> 4. my dsl comes into my netopia dsl modem (which also has a 4 port
> router built in) then out to my linksys wireless router (into the wan
> port). dsl is dhcp.
> 6. should i put my linux box straight into my netopia? and if i do can
> i still connect directly to it or am i going to have to go through the
> net to dump my personal (IE mp3's)files to it?

> 7. need some sort of faq about doin the dyndns thing and how to set it
> up in linux. where would i find such a thing?

Be aware that your dsl provider may block http requests.  I had my
firewall "portforwarding" to a web server, and used a dynamic DNS service.
Everything worked just fine until the Code Red virus created such havoc
with Windows' IIS that RoadRunner decided to block all incoming http.

Thanks, Microsoft, for coming up with another way to*us.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

mandrake 8.2 & dyndns.org & netopia dsl modem & linksys router

Post by Chris Lebe » Mon, 20 May 2002 05:37:52

3. apache is fine and was planning on using anyway
5. samba is already set up and working
6. linksys dhcp stuff starts at 192.168.1.1. netopia stuff starts at
192.168.2.1
7. looked at the ddclient and some other one too. just can't get the
jest of how to compile it and to get it to run