Misc. Linux setup questions

Post by Ivan » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

I just installed Redhat 6 last night, and have a few questions.

When I installed X Windows, it set the resolution to 1280x1024.  What is an
easy way to reconfigure that to 1024x768?

I also tried mounting a couple partitions (that Win98 usually uses
[fat-32]), w/ minimal success.  I can see the partitions in the file
manager, but there are no files listed.. And I know there's gigs of stuff on
it.  (I have a lot of d/loaded linux stuff on there, that I'd like to
install like Quake3, SB Live driver, and misc. programs)
Is there a way to see these files?  I did it in Slackware, and can't see why
I can't do it w/ Redhat

Also, call me ignorant, but... how do I dial out w/ my modem?  I can't find
anything to connect to my ISP.

As, you can see, I'm new to Linux, and would appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.
-Ivan

Misc. Linux setup questions

Post by Timothy Litwille » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

in Redhat   - run setup and choose the xf86configurator  the when it asks about
choosing defaults of choosing your own choose your own, I usualy just choose
one, but you can choose as many as you want.

you need to know what drive  ie primary ide master or slave so you know how to
address the drive so you can mount it.

/dev/hda  is primary ide master
/dev/hdb  is primary ide slave
/dev/hdc  is secondary ide master
/dev/hdd  is secondary ide slave

then you get the partition number and put it behind the device

so if you win98 is on the first drive and is the primary partition it would be
/dev/hda1

so how do you want to access it?
our file system options are
msdos or vfat
lates try vfat first if it is win98 or a late win95 (osr2 or above)
and just for the sake of example lets mount this drive as /mnt/win98
cd into the /mnt directory and
mkdir win98

now you can mount it

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win98