man doesn't work

Post by Ken McNair » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi.
I have slackware 1.2.13 up and running.
I installed from a WGS disk set, and I have the manual, (for now).
I have not yet tried to use X-windows.

-man-   doesn't work right.
I tell it  "man ls" , and it shows nothing but  "line ?/? END" at the
bottom of the screen.
"man man"  gets more complaints;
"sh: /usr/bin/gtbl : no such file or directory
 sh: /usr/bin/groff : no such file or directory".

the manpath is
/usr/local/man:/usr/man/preformat:/usr/man:/usr/x11/man:/usr/openwin/man

the contents of these directories is:
/usr/local/man                all the catn and mann files linked to
their /usr/man counterparts
/usr/man/preformat        empty cat files
/usr/man                        man.n.gz files, (which do seem to have
the data),  and catn files linked to /var/man/catn
usr/x11/man                  (the same as /usr/man)
/usr/openwin/man          mann - empty directories,  catn - links to
/var/man/catn

I understand that there is a man setup routine which I  presumably have
not done, but I can't find any reference to it, and all of my hacking
hasn't helped.

Could anyone advise me, or direct me to a likely source of information ?

Thank you.

Oh yeah, linux doesn't recognise my CD.
It is a BTC 24x EIDE
I think the controller is throught the soundblaster.
port = 170  IRQ = 15
Any ideas ?
Thanks.

man doesn't work

Post by Nic » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.
> I have slackware 1.2.13 up and running.

This is *really* old, I'd recommend you download and install a newer one
(latest version of Slackware is 3.6, which has kernel 2.0.35 I think).

Quote:> I installed from a WGS disk set, and I have the manual, (for now).
> I have not yet tried to use X-windows.

> -man-   doesn't work right.
> I tell it  "man ls" , and it shows nothing but  "line ?/? END" at the
> bottom of the screen.
> "man man"  gets more complaints;
> "sh: /usr/bin/gtbl : no such file or directory
>  sh: /usr/bin/groff : no such file or directory".

'man' needs groff to be able to format the manpages for viewing. Run
pkgtool or setup (whatever is it for Slackware, I avoid it personally)
and install the groff package.

Quote:> the manpath is
> /usr/local/man:/usr/man/preformat:/usr/man:/usr/x11/man:/usr/openwin/man

> the contents of these directories is:
> /usr/local/man                all the catn and mann files linked to
> their /usr/man counterparts
> /usr/man/preformat        empty cat files
> /usr/man                        man.n.gz files, (which do seem to have
> the data),  and catn files linked to /var/man/catn
> usr/x11/man                  (the same as /usr/man)
> /usr/openwin/man          mann - empty directories,  catn - links to
> /var/man/catn

This all looks fine.

Quote:> I understand that there is a man setup routine which I  presumably have
> not done, but I can't find any reference to it, and all of my hacking
> hasn't helped.

groff should be all you need.

As for your cdrom problem, have a look at the CDROM howto, which should
be under the howto section of http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/ldp.html

Regards,
        Nic.

-- Nic B. -- email "sky" at "wibble dot net" ------
-- UN*X Programmer, The Internet Group (NZ) Ltd. --
-- #include <stddisclaimer.h> ---------------------

1. Man! my man doesn't work.

I can't seem to view any man pages - man says it can't find anything I
ask for.  I have two different version slackware installations doing
the same thing.

My environment shows MANPATH set to include /usr/man, along
with several other places.  (BTW, how are env variables changed,
there doesn't seem to be a .cshrc file anywhere?).  In the various
subdirectories under /usr/man are hordes of files (.gz).  I unzipped
one of them (gzip -d man.1.gz) ) to see if that was what was missing,
but the man command still couldn't find man.

Man!

2. Cnews history file

3. man works, man -t doesn't

4. powerpoint file format

5. Help: 'man' doesn't work

6. Linux Documentation Project

7. 'man' doesn't work, HELP!

8. How to get the LVDD KMID

9. 'man' doesn't work... help!

10. Why 'man' doesn't work?

11. Man doesn't work or need some work from SLS release !!!

12. `man -k' doesn't work...

13. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work