Ensoniq AudioPCI and sndconfig

Post by Bob » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

    I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370, which I have been unable to get
functional.

When I first installed RH 5.2, I ran sndconfig and it worked.
Once I set up my isa pnp cards, it stopped.
Removed my isapnp.conf, ran sndconfig and started getting the message "can't
output to /dev/dsp, operation not supported".

Finally totally reformatted and reinstalled Linux from scratch, and ran
sndconfig, and got the same /dev/dsp error message.

Why can't I get this to work, and why did it work in the first install, but
not the second - the systems were identical at that point.

Help me please!

Post by Pascal Haakma » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>     I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370, which I have been unable to get
> functional.

I had a host of problems trying to get my ES1371 to work with RedHat
5.2; I think many problems are solved by installing the ALSA sound
drivers. See alsa.jcu.cz.

Ensoniq AudioPCI and sndconfig

Post by Davi » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a SB PCI128 (with the ES1370 chipset), try this....
Configure a new kernel, make soundsupport, es1370 and es1371 modular,
compile kernel then type 'make modules' and 'make modules_install',
setup lilo to load the new kernel, reboot......then when done rebooting,
type 'insmod soundcore' and 'insmod es1370' 'insmod es1371', one of the
last two will work, youll just have to try and see which....after this
sound should work.....a good idea might be to 'chmod 0666 /dev/dsp' as
well since quake for instance wont run else....

hope this helps
//David H

PS
What I described requires the 2.2.X kernel
DS

Post by Matthew Vanece » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>     I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370, which I have been unable to get
> functional.

> When I first installed RH 5.2, I ran sndconfig and it worked.
> Once I set up my isa pnp cards, it stopped.
> Removed my isapnp.conf, ran sndconfig and started getting the message "can't
> output to /dev/dsp, operation not supported".

> Finally totally reformatted and reinstalled Linux from scratch, and ran
> sndconfig, and got the same /dev/dsp error message.

> Why can't I get this to work, and why did it work in the first install, but
> not the second - the systems were identical at that point.

> Help me please!

What type of motherboard?  If it's got onboard sound, then the onboard
sound will be /dev/dsp and /dev/audio, *even* if it's been disabled by a
jumper setting or whatever.  Your Ensoniq would be on /dev/dsp1 and
/dev/audio1.  You could rename or make links to them, or whatever.

Also, get the latest kernel.  Ensoniq 1370 is natively supported in
2.2.x kernels, and doesn't need any of that sndconfig bs.  Just compile
it into the kernel and play away.
--
Matthew Vanecek
Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas

1. patch, Ensoniq AudioPCI + 2.0.35

Hi. I have a GW2k PII 233 with an Ensoniq AudioPCI card. I would like
to hear some sonds from Nunux but have failed to find a proper
configuration for my kernel.

First I have tried the Soundscape emulation, but the card is not
recognized.

Then I downloaded a free pnp patch (from
http://www.ife.ee.ethz.ch/~sailer/linux/pciaudio.html), but the patch
is for 2.0.33(4 ?), and my 2.0.35 kernel won't eat it by himself. I
have to do some work, which seems to be all comments.

When and how should I change the original files ? What to do next ? Do
I have to reapply the patch ?

Thanks for replying by email, I am a bit lost in big groups.

\bye

2. solaris C boundchecker profiler

3. Ensoniq AudioPCI help - newbie

4. DHCPD

5. Please Read: Redhat v5.1, Ensoniq AudioPCI w/ patch and MISC

6. Mylex DAC960

7. using mid thru joystick port w/ensoniq audiopci

8. Win95 Profiles

9. Ensoniq AudioPCI

10. Ensoniq AudioPCI got supported in Linux?

11. Ensoniq AudioPCI

12. Ensoniq AudioPCI support?

13. Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370 - SB64