Hardware Error - Major 8 - What is it?

Post by Bob Hartun » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
  I am having a devil of a time getting S.u.S.E. 5.3 installed.  I am using
an EIDE drive for the root and other directories but I have a small (1.05 GB
conner SCSI drive not otherwise in use - I'm trying to use the first 128 MB
as a swap partition and save the rest for some future thing).  SCSI board is
Adaptec 2930 that is supposed to be supported.
  I keep getting the following error on boot::

"Unable to get major 8 for SCSI disk
Oct 14 11:32:38 insmod:
/lib/modules/2.0.35/scsi/sd_mod.o: init_module:
Device or resource busy
ll_rw_block: device 08:01: only 1024-char blocks
implemented (4096)"

Any ideas??

All help appreciated

Post by H.St.Joh » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,
>   I am having a devil of a time getting S.u.S.E. 5.3 installed.  I am using
> an EIDE drive for the root and other directories but I have a small (1.05 GB
> conner SCSI drive not otherwise in use - I'm trying to use the first 128 MB
> as a swap partition and save the rest for some future thing).  SCSI board is
> Adaptec 2930 that is supposed to be supported.
>   I keep getting the following error on boot::

> "Unable to get major 8 for SCSI disk
> Oct 14 11:32:38 insmod:
> /lib/modules/2.0.35/scsi/sd_mod.o: init_module:
> Device or resource busy
> ll_rw_block: device 08:01: only 1024-char blocks
> implemented (4096)"

> Any ideas??

> All help appreciated

"Device or resource busy " almost certainly means that you have an IRQ
conflict.  Check the setting of the IRQ for the
SCSI host controller, it probably has the same value as some other device.

Hardware Error - Major 8 - What is it?

Post by Ron » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I ran into a similar problem with major 7, it was the lpt (line printer),
the problem turned out to be, Linux couldn't get major 7 because it had
already gotten it. I had made it as a module and it was still in the kernel
so when it booted linux, it was ok until it tried to load it as a module,
then I got the msg unable to load lpt unable to get major 7, I was at a loss
for a long time because It never told me why it was unable to get it.

don't know if this will help, but worth looking into

Ron

>> Hello,
>>   I am having a devil of a time getting S.u.S.E. 5.3 installed.  I am
using
>> an EIDE drive for the root and other directories but I have a small (1.05
GB
>> conner SCSI drive not otherwise in use - I'm trying to use the first 128
MB
>> as a swap partition and save the rest for some future thing).  SCSI board
is
>> Adaptec 2930 that is supposed to be supported.
>>   I keep getting the following error on boot::

>> "Unable to get major 8 for SCSI disk
>> Oct 14 11:32:38 insmod:
>> /lib/modules/2.0.35/scsi/sd_mod.o: init_module:
>> Device or resource busy
>> ll_rw_block: device 08:01: only 1024-char blocks
>> implemented (4096)"

>> Any ideas??

>> All help appreciated

>"Device or resource busy " almost certainly means that you have an IRQ
>conflict.  Check the setting of the IRQ for the
>SCSI host controller, it probably has the same value as some other device.

Hardware Error - Major 8 - What is it?

Post by Ron » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I ran into a similar problem with major 7, it was the lpt (line printer),
the problem turned out to be, Linux couldn't get major 7 because it had
already gotten it. I had made it as a module and it was still in the kernel
so when it booted linux, it was ok until it tried to load it as a module,
then I got the msg unable to load lpt unable to get major 7, I was at a loss
for a long time because It never told me why it was unable to get it.

don't know if this will help, but worth looking into

Ron

>> Hello,
>>   I am having a devil of a time getting S.u.S.E. 5.3 installed.  I am
using
>> an EIDE drive for the root and other directories but I have a small (1.05
GB
>> conner SCSI drive not otherwise in use - I'm trying to use the first 128
MB
>> as a swap partition and save the rest for some future thing).  SCSI board
is
>> Adaptec 2930 that is supposed to be supported.
>>   I keep getting the following error on boot::

>> "Unable to get major 8 for SCSI disk
>> Oct 14 11:32:38 insmod:
>> /lib/modules/2.0.35/scsi/sd_mod.o: init_module:
>> Device or resource busy
>> ll_rw_block: device 08:01: only 1024-char blocks
>> implemented (4096)"

>> Any ideas??

>> All help appreciated

>"Device or resource busy " almost certainly means that you have an IRQ
>conflict.  Check the setting of the IRQ for the
>SCSI host controller, it probably has the same value as some other device.

       I could't understand whats going wrong.
I compiled new kernel with kgdb patch..and entered the details in /etc/lilo.conf
and running lilo..

i got the following lines..

Warning: /etc/lilo.conf should be writable only for root ( I am in root login only)
Warning: device 0x0306 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.

geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (  1146 > 1023).

Could any one help me out...

thanks,
srinivas.

2. Screen Editor for Linux

3. I am a major Lamer. Please Help!

4. BootX - Hold/Lock Memory

5. error in hardware-howto, section "Unsupported hardware, winmodems"

7. Major Hardware Problem!!

8. soundcard configuration

9. Major Hardware Mystery

10. Major hardware change (mobo)

11. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

12. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

13. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial