slackware 3.0 man pages don't work

Post by Daniel R. Lewi » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi all, I just installed the "A" disk set of slackware 3.0 and have the
following problem.  When I do "man ls" (or man whatever) I get:

Formatting page, please wait...
sh: /usr/bin/gtbl: No such file of directory
sh: /usr/bin/groff: No such file or directory
line ?/? (END)

Why am I getting this and how do I make my man pages work normally?

Thanks,

Dan Lewis

slackware 3.0 man pages don't work

Post by Stanley G. Nalley Jr » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

hello,
 it looks like you didn't install groff. If you rerun the setup program, groff
is located under the AP disk sets. Make sure that the groff option is checked
off and install the AP series. The gtbl is installed with groff (i think). Try
this and then see what happens.

Post by Barry F » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>hello,
> it looks like you didn't install groff. If you rerun the setup program, groff
>is located under the AP disk sets. Make sure that the groff option is checked
>off and install the AP series. The gtbl is installed with groff (i think). Try
>this and then see what happens.

Hi. I had the same problem when I originally installed. After putting
in groff, it worked fine. My only problem now is that some of the man
pages are "empty" - I looked at the actual files, and they are 20
bytes. When I say"man ls," for example, It displays nothing. I tried
reinstalling manpgs, but apparently that's not where they're at. Does
anybody know where the man pages are (other than manpgs)?

   _    _    __    _     ____
+-/ \--/ \--/  \--/ \---/    \----------------------------+
| | |  | | | /\_| | |   | /\ |         Barry Fam          |

+--\____/---\__/--\___/-\_/\_/----------------------------+
        ______________
       /| Go Bruins! |\  "...If you can fill the unforgiving
     __\--------------/__  minute with sixty seconds worth of
     >___)          (___<   distance run..."
           UCLA 89
         Arkansas 78                    -Rudyard Kipling, "If"

slackware 3.0 man pages don't work

Post by Kevin Hugh » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I had exactly this with two instalations of 3.0. After messing about copying the
"missing" gtbl/groff files and still having no luck I did a diff between the
man file for ls on my harddisk and on my CDROM (live/usr ...) and they were different.
So I copied the cdrom /live/usr/... file and bingo it all worked. There were a number
of files in this odd state so I ended up copying those which failed (on demand) and
its all ok now.

Godd luck

Kevin

1. MAN pages still don't work in Linux Slackware v.3.0

I've been following the thread "MAN doesn't work in Slackware 3.0.0"
because I've been having similar problems with Slackware 3.0.0's MAN
pages. The problem with my MAN pages not working, however, goes deeper
than just removing the files from the /usr/man/cat? directories.

When I try, for example, "man cat", I get the following messages:
   Formatting pages, please wait...
   /usr/bin/groff: gtroff: Floating point exception

This makes some sense to me since I've upgraded my 386DX CPU to a 486 with
one of those Evergreen CPU upgrade kits. The motherboard still has the
'387 FPU on it. So it makes sense that the Linux OS may not handle this
hardware.

I'd like to recompile the kernel or at least GTROFF to use full or partial
FPU emulation but I don't know which file to modify or how. Can anyone
provide this information?

Alternatively, can someone tell me why I am "all wet" in my assumptions
and how to work around this problem.

2. How to get tape drive to eject tape from script

3. How do I get the man pages to work in Slackware 3.0?

4. Netscape problem with libXpm

5. Help: Man pages don't work

6. Matrox g450 LE under Mandrake

7. kdehelp man pages don't work