RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

Post by mike_si.. » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

My RedHat 5.2 System worked perfectly!  Now that I upgraded I am having
a few problems, and need someone to tell me where the problem lies.
For starters, when I get connected to the Internet, my cacheing DNS
doesn't work!  I can't do nslookups!  PPP is working b/c when I issue
an 'ifconfig' it reports that the PPP0 interface is up.  The
/var/log/messages reports my ISP's DNS IP as an address for queries.  I
can ping the ISP DNS.  It's almost as if my DNS packets are not being
returned to my computer.  What's the problem?  I use gnome-ppp (part of
the gnome-network-1.0.rpm) to connect (if that makes any difference).
Where is the problem?

Also, I am having problems with ESD with a SoundBlaster 16 PCI card.
Kernel sound support is great.  When I use ESD (like the sound effect
for GNOME or playing MP3's) ESD plays the file really slowly!!! (It's
takes about 6 times as long to play the file)  Is there a way to speed
up ESD's relaying of data to /dev/dsp?  If so how?

Help will be appreciated!  If you need any further information, let me
know.  I will post follow-up messages.  Thanks in advance!

1. INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

All the ftp'd rpms files have been moved the primary and only linux
partition (aside from the swap one) and are located in /RedHat. The
subdirectories of that are "instimage", "base", "image" and "RPMS", with
all permissions and system / system own/grp.

I made the boot.img floppy from the 6.0 dist and all the files are off
of sunsite's 6.0 directory.

The symptoms of the problem:

- I boot off the floppy by hitting enter at the prompt
- boots without problem and asks the usual install/upgrade questions
- all goes fine up to the point where it asks where distribution is
located
- I choose the proper partition /dev/hdc5 in my case
- it goes off and mounts probably and scans and then
  comes back and asks me if I'd like upgrade or install
- I say upgrade and it says "scanning install files", I think.
- returns with an error that "No RPM database found".

I know redhat has very specific ideas on what that RedHat/RPMS directory

stucture should appear to be like and I thought I'd done that

    /RedHat
       base
       image
       instimage
       RPMS

there's about 338,283 .rpm files in the RPMS directory.

        appreciate any clues,, tia,,

                  Mickey

2. Move window with keyboard

3. Redhat 5.2 -> 6.0 NFS upgrade woes

4. Help: Mail server down

5. Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

6. 2.5.1-pre3 FIXED (was Re: 2.5.1-pre3 DON'T USE)

7. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2

8. minitel

9. Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...

10. Redhat 5.2 vs RedHat 6.0

11. Redhat 6.0 encrypted passwords (34 characters vs. 13 for Redhat 5.2)

12. How to upgrade from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0 ?

13. RedHat 5.2 (How do you upgrade to 6.0 over the internet?)