Sound Problem - Yamaha OPL3-SA on Dell motherboard.

Sound Problem - Yamaha OPL3-SA on Dell motherboard.

Post by Mike Abne » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

NOTE: Originally posted to comp.os.linux.hardware, but no one has answered
as yet, and I'm impaitient.  What can I say?

Okay, I've had more problems with this that I can count, but I'm *almost*
there.

The setup:
        A Dell XPS D300 (PII300)
        Yamaha OPL3-SA on the motherboard
        Red Hat 5.0 with all the latest updates

I've also installed the latest OSSfree dirvers which (I think) should
support this sound configuration.  Once I finally got it to boot properly
without complaining about not being able to load the sound or midi modules
(by editing /etc/conf.modules), I then had it to the point where I could
use 'cat /dev/sndstat' and see that while the drivers *are* being loaded,
they don't seem to have the correct configuration.

I have turned off the 'PnP OS' bios option and loaded Win'95 to see the IRQ
and DMA settings.  The are the ones that I used in xconfig.  I even went
ahead and tried updating the etc/isapnp.conf file (using the pnpdump).  It
seemed to think I had the right settings, but I still see:

        Card config:
        (Yamaha OPL3-SA at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,1)
        (OPL3-SA MIDI at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0)

which I understand means they aren't configured correctly (and they don't
work).  I'm sure of the Yamaha configuration, but not sure of the MIDI
configuration.

PLEASE help me out.  This is my last major hurdle to get everything
working.  Until the next one anyway.  But really, I've gotten everything
else going:  updgrading the kernel, upgrading my Xfree86, PPP, the
Enlightenment WM, installing Java.  But this is giving me more grief than I
can take.

Thanks,

Mike

[...]

1. Help with sound config (OPL3-SA on Dell motherboard)

[...]

2. Limit TELNET access to a user/group?

3. need config for yamaha OPL3-SA sound card

4. /etc/security/user integrity

5. Yamaha OPL3-SA sound card

6. Plug & Play devices on FreeBSD

7. HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

8. ftp times out :-(

9. need help with Yamaha OPL3-SA sound card

10. Getting sound to work on Gateway 9100 (Yamaha OPL3-SA)

11. Yamaha opl3-sa wont work!!!

12. Yamaha Opl3-sa

13. Anybody know default IRQ settings for a Yamaha opl3-sa card