XFree86 (in RedHat 5.0) and Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo card

XFree86 (in RedHat 5.0) and Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo card

Post by Tom Salye » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

 Sorry if this has come up before, but I've skimmed
both FAQs and DejaNews with no productive results:

 How can I get XFree86 to work with my Intergraph
video card?  I'll settle for VGA16 or SVGA if I have
to, but Xconfigurator insists on seeing an S3
chipset.  Is there any way to force it to use one
of the generic VGA servers manually?

--
Tom Salyers            "Now is the Windows of our disk contents
IRCnick: Aqualung       Made glorious SimEarth by this Sun of Zork."

XFree86 (in RedHat 5.0) and Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo card

Post by Gerall Kahl » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The X server that runs the AT3D chipset on the Intergraph
Intense 3D Voodoo is at SuSE.  Try here:  http://www.SuSE.com and
root around for their custom X servers.  The one you're looking
for is called XSuSE_AT3D.tgz  After downloading it and the new
xf86config program (it'll tell you you need it!), follow the
instructions for installing and all should run well.

        A friend of mine did this on a Red Hat system and found that RH
made a couple of symlinks between X and the RH-desired server in
strange places on the drive.  Before everything will work, you've
gotta hunt all those references down and replace them with links
to the new server.  I'd recommend running 'find -name X' from a
console as root, and re-setting up the symlinks after installing
the software...

        Both my friend and I are running these cards, and getting great
results from them!  I'm in a constant state of 1280x1024x16bpp
and enjoying every minute of it.  Daryll Strauss is also working
on the Voodoo Rush chipset support so we can get Mesa-accelerated
3D!  Coming out RSN!  For the moment, Voodoo and Voodoo2 are the
only cards with full 3D-accel, but that's changing.

        Good luck with it, and if you need any further advice, drop a
line!

--
--=> Chrome    Celestial Mechanic        |
http://www.pernet.net/~kahlage           |