NEWBIE question: Trying to install... hard drive troubles.

NEWBIE question: Trying to install... hard drive troubles.

Post by MINGUST » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello all.. I am trying to install RedHat 5.0 on my WIN95 OSR2 system.
AFAIK, I don't see it as FAT32 under win F-disk. I try to install, and I
do know Linux reads the drives as Hda, Hdb, etc etc.

I get past the first few screens and when it tries to read the drive to
assess the partitions, it tells me my 5.1 Gig Maxtor drive has a corrupt
partition. This can't be true, because I have ran norton for 95, Fdisk,
and scandisk for '95. My Chipset is a 430VX, so it's a touch older.
AFAIK, again, I don't beleive I'm running Max-Blast or the like
(Translation software). It is partitioned under LBA as

Drive C: 1.97 Gig
Drive D:  850 meg (the HD I intended to install to, drive D: because it
is set as the secondary master, not part of the 5.1 gig)
Drive e:    1.97G
Drive f:     827Megs

Is there some compatibility issue with LBA I don't know about? or what
is going on?
*frustrated*
BTW, the 5.1gig is only two weeks old, and passes all the checks I can
put it through.

I skip the drive, and then it sees HDC by itself, which is the 850 I
want to install to, but I need LILO to start from the  first partition
of the 5.1 gig so I can (hopefully) run either or.

Do I need a new boot disk image or something with support for the bigger
drive?

TIA.

T.C.

1. Newbie trying to setup Linux on second hard drive

        Ok, here's my situation....I just received Linux with both the
slackware and redhat distributions...I want to install either one to my
second hard drive...called D: and run it from there, leaving Win95 intact
on my C drive.  How do I go about doing that?  Do I just treat it like I
would any drive by just setting up partitions on the D: and letting Linux
take it over?  Are there other things I should be worried about?

Please, please help me and I will be forever grateful...

Thanks a bunch!

2. e2fsprogs ver 0.5, probs

3. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

4. Creative Riva TNT2

5. Trying to install Linux on second hard drive

6. Virtual screen X Server

7. Trying to install from hard drive

8. Adding a Win NT directory as an alias on a Linux Box

9. HELP!! Trying to install new hard drive...

10. Almost Lost New Hard Drive When Trying To Install Mandrake 7.0

11. Help: trying to install from hard drive - "can't find file"

12. Superblock on Mandrake 8.2 cannot be read after I tried to install a hard drive

13. Newbie needs help to install SuSE Linux 7.1 on SCSI hard drive.