Multi-Boot : NT on Primary IDE and Linux on Secondary IDE

Multi-Boot : NT on Primary IDE and Linux on Secondary IDE

Post by Jason Byrn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I haven't read the howto you are referring to... but this should be pretty
easy to do when you get it right.

(I have a four-way boot NT/98/Linux/DOS 6.2 on my computer... so just NT and
Linux is a simplification of this)

1) Install NT on your primary IDE... you can even use NTFS if you have a
reason to do that.

2) Install Linux on your secondary IDE... making sure that you create the /
mount on a primary partition on that drive (/dev/hdb1)... and install LILO
on the boot partition of your secondary IDE (not the MBR).

3) Go grab 'bootpart' from www.winimage.com

Boot to NT... or real DOS... and run 'bootpart' without any parameters

This gives you a list of all your partitions on your hard-drives.

Figure out which partition your boot partition for Linux is (should be the
first primary partition on the second IDE drive... if you followed to this
point).  Also.. you should see a * next to the entry to indicate that is an
'active' partition.

To create the bootable image for NT's loader...

For example:

bootpart 5 c:\bootsect.lnx SuSE Linux 6.2

That does it...

Now when you start your computer.. you should see your Linux menu selection
in NT's boot loader... and can start it from there.