Cyrix 6x86 P200+ chip and Linux 2.0.29

Post by Jay Thorn » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I successfully patched my Linux 2.0.29 installation to recognize my Cyrix 6x86
> chip - shows up fine in /proc/cpuinfo.

> However, if I engage the 6x86's VSPM paging mechanism, it fails to boot and
> promptly resets itself. Has anyone seen this problem? (and yes my 6x86 is a step
> 1 revision 7, so it's not one of the earlier buggy ones).

> Also does anyone knows if the patch I applied is in the newer Linux patch
> releases (2.0.30 or better?) - I obtained it from a web site (not
> ftp.kernel.org)

> Regards,

My Cy150+ doesnt  like the VSPM code either.  I assume that it
only works with certain bioses.  Mine is Award, 430VX chipset. Yours?

Quote:>  /\_/\

--

the Net Result System Services

Cyrix 6x86 P200+ chip and Linux 2.0.29

Post by Tim » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

At the risk of me-tooing, my P150+ also fails to boot with VSPM enabled.
Mine is a 1 Rev 6, so it may fall into the "buggy" class, although it has
given me no other grief (Award BIOS on a Biostar 8500 MB).

To give a non-authoratative answer (the standard usenet kind) to the first
poster's second question, I have not seen anything to indicate that these
patches have been integrated into the development kernels. (But that
doesn't mean they haven't been :) )

--
Tim Sweeney                            Harborhi Consultants

1. Cyrix 6x86(p200+) + Linux ??

I would like to buy a Cyrix 6x86 based system,with a MB with the Lynx
chipset(75 mhz bus!!).I would like to use it with Linux...
Have you got any advice or suggestion ?

                        Thanks a lot
                        Raffaele

2. Apache logs rotate

3. Cyrix 6x86-P200+ is out, and faster than Pentium 200

4. How to set up a MULTIUSER SYSTEM??

5. Redhat 6.1 problems on Cyrix 6x86 P200+

6. "make -C ..." is having problems..

7. Cyrix (IBM) 6x86 chips and Linux

8. Looking for mwave DSP proto dev for linux(debian)

9. Cyrix 6x86 chips and Linux 2.0.26

10. How do 6x86 Cyrix chips do under linux?

11. Cyrix 6x86 chips and Linux 2.0.26

12. Cyrix 6x86 chips