X double-click copy/paste issue

Post by Paul M. Sander » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 04:30:55

Hello all,

I've recently switched from using an older SGI workstation for my main
work box to a Linux box running RedHat 7.1.

I use the X "copy-and-paste" feature all the time to copy text from
window to window. In my world, the "underscore" ('_') is very prominent,
it's used every where in C source code it seems.

When double clicking text, my SGI box would include the underscore
character as part of the word, so for example, double clicking
"nfs_get_cache_page" would highlight the entire string, but now with
Linux, I only get up to the next "_", forcing me to click the mouse over
the first character and drag to the end, which becomes a hassle if I
need to do it repeatedly, which I often do.

Pardon if this is a stupid question, but I've not messed with
configuring X for many years. Is there a way to configure X so the
doubleclick acepts '_' as part of the word?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

X double-click copy/paste issue

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:10:48

Hi Paul,

"Paul M. Sanders" schrieb:

Quote:

> Hello all,

> [...]
> Pardon if this is a stupid question,

There is nothing like a "stupid question" but only "stupid answers"...
;o)

Quote:> but I've not messed with
> configuring X for many years. Is there a way to configure X so the
> doubleclick acepts '_' as part of the word?

No , thats not a X-related issue

I tried <xemacs> KDE's "enhenced editor" and <nedit> on SuSE 7.2 having
XF86 v4 and KDE2.2.1.
Only <xemacs> has the described behavior.
I did not find an adjustmen in preferences of <xemacs> to change this.

There are two work-arounds:
first:
        use another editor (<nedit> is a good choice IMHO ;o)

second:
        in <xemacs> try this:
- doubleclick on te first part of the variable name.
- hold down shift-key and doubleclick on the last part of the variable
name.
this will select complete first and last part of the variable name and
all characters between, eaven blanks.
unfortunatly this will leave leading and trailing '_' but hopefully you
may have only a few of them... :o)

Sure this means two mre clicks on each variable but I think it's better
than the "aiming method" :o)

Quote:

--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

eMail is as private as a post card - Please encrypt your answer!
PGP key available at: pgp.ai.mit.edu - port: 11371
ID: 0x273C213E
finger print: 4CB3 2D02 802A 3DA6 0499  0768 4CB1 D301 273C 213E

Post by Paul M. Sander » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:54:48

> Hi Paul,

> "Paul M. Sanders" schrieb:

> > Hello all,

> > [...]
> > Pardon if this is a stupid question,
> There is nothing like a "stupid question" but only "stupid answers"...
> ;o)

> > but I've not messed with
> > configuring X for many years. Is there a way to configure X so the
> > doubleclick acepts '_' as part of the word?
> No , thats not a X-related issue

> I tried <xemacs> KDE's "enhenced editor" and <nedit> on SuSE 7.2 having
> XF86 v4 and KDE2.2.1.
> Only <xemacs> has the described behavior.
> I did not find an adjustmen in preferences of <xemacs> to change this.

> There are two work-arounds:
> first:
>         use another editor (<nedit> is a good choice IMHO ;o)

I forgot to clarify. I use vi, and as long standing vi users will
attest, it's not a habit that's easily cured :)

I've been considering checking out emacs though, but...

Quote:

> second:
>         in <xemacs> try this:
> - doubleclick on te first part of the variable name.
> - hold down shift-key and doubleclick on the last part of the variable
> name.
> this will select complete first and last part of the variable name and
> all characters between, eaven blanks.
> unfortunatly this will leave leading and trailing '_' but hopefully you
> may have only a few of them... :o)

Unfortunately in kernel and library code, leading '_' characters are
very common :(

Thanks for the tips though :)

Paul

Quote:

> Sure this means two mre clicks on each variable but I think it's better
> than the "aiming method" :o)

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Paul

> --

> MfG
> Thomas Papendieck

> eMail is as private as a post card - Please encrypt your answer!
> PGP key available at: pgp.ai.mit.edu - port: 11371
> ID: 0x273C213E
> finger print: 4CB3 2D02 802A 3DA6 0499  0768 4CB1 D301 273C 213E

X double-click copy/paste issue

Post by Paul M. Sander » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 04:46:34

A followup on this issue.

Turns out this is a gnome-terminal thing. Using xterm this is not a
problem.

X double-click copy/paste issue

Post by Robert Nicho » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:34:39

:A followup on this issue.
:
:Turns out this is a gnome-terminal thing. Using xterm this is not a
:problem.

The selection of what characters constitute a "word" is user-selectable
in one of the Gnome terminal preferences dialogs.  Just remember that
any changes you make there will affect _all_ your Gnome terminal
instances.

--

1. KDE - Opening With Double-Click vs. Single-Click

Hi all,
I'm still new to Linux and have a couple of questions.

First, is this the best place for KDE specific questions or is there a KDE
newsgroup?

Second, I installed Lycoris Linux (now Slackware), and it had an option to
open icons with a double click vs the default single click.  I don't see
that option.  Is there a good KDE faq file or a simple configuration setting
somewhere that would let me set this to what I'm used to.

And lastly, is it possible to control the icon size in the file browser
separate from the desktop.  I like the default larger icon on the desktop
and the smaller icon in the file manager program.

You can tell I'm from the Windows world with these questions<grin>.

Thanks - Jack

--
p. s. - To reply to me via email, remove the '1' from rasnick1.att.net  -
spam prevention at work here..

2. Solaris ICH6 Support

3. Single click vs double click

4. Disk Mirroring

5. 1 x mouse click => double click

6. PATCH against 2.4.2: TTY hangup on PPP channel corrupts kernel memory

7. How to change from single click to double click.

8. Forget password and How to login?

9. Launch on double click, not single click

10. X double-click speed needs slowing down

11. Double-click

12. mouse double-click speed

13. Changing what strings a double-click highlights?