FVWM Install: no acceptable cc in $PATH ?

FVWM Install: no acceptable cc in $PATH ?

Post by maham.. » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

Running COL 2.2 and trying to install FVWM 2.2.2

I tar'd it, and per the install doc switched to the appropriate
directory and typed

./configure

at which time some checks take place, but it always stops after:

checking for gcc...no
checking for cc...no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

I did a typical COL install and I guess I assumed gcc would be
included, is this telling me it is not?

Any info helpful,

Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

FVWM Install: no acceptable cc in $PATH ?

Post by Silviu Minu » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

It's either not installed, or it's installed, but not in your path.
Usually it's the former. Look in /usr/bin and see if you have gcc. You
can also do one of the following

locate gcc

or

find / -name gcc -print.

If you find it, just append the PATH with the path to gcc. Otherwise,
install it. May also want to install g++, because some
programs require it. Of course, there is also egcs.

> Hi all,

> Running COL 2.2 and trying to install FVWM 2.2.2

> I tar'd it, and per the install doc switched to the appropriate
> directory and typed

> ./configure

> at which time some checks take place, but it always stops after:

> checking for gcc...no
> checking for cc...no
> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

> I did a typical COL install and I guess I assumed gcc would be
> included, is this telling me it is not?

> Any info helpful,

> Tony

FVWM Install: no acceptable cc in $PATH ?

Post by maham.. » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Thanks,

I did the locate and it returned:

/opt/kde/share/apps/ktop/pics/gcc.xpm
/usr/lib/gcc-lib

That last line is an empty directory; and I am not sure what a .xpm
file is, there are quite a few of them in that /opt... directory. Are
these like rpms?

Also, I cannot find anything in the man pages about the path. Where is
it set?

Thanks,

Tony

> It's either not installed, or it's installed, but not in your path.
> Usually it's the former. Look in /usr/bin and see if you have gcc. You
> can also do one of the following

> locate gcc

> or

> find / -name gcc -print.

> If you find it, just append the PATH with the path to gcc. Otherwise,
> install it. May also want to install g++, because some
> programs require it. Of course, there is also egcs.

> > Hi all,

> > Running COL 2.2 and trying to install FVWM 2.2.2

> > I tar'd it, and per the install doc switched to the appropriate
> > directory and typed

> > ./configure

> > at which time some checks take place, but it always stops after:

> > checking for gcc...no
> > checking for cc...no
> > configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

> > I did a typical COL install and I guess I assumed gcc would be
> > included, is this telling me it is not?

> > Any info helpful,

> > Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

FVWM Install: no acceptable cc in $PATH ?

Post by Silviu Minu » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

file.xpm is a pixmap, an image, that is. You can view it with xv

xv file.xpm

What you saw (gcc.xpm) is the kde icon for the gcc compiler. That comes
with kde. You do have to install the compiler though. You should have it on
the installation cd. I'm running RedHat and I'm not familiar with how
Caldera installs packages. If you have rpm, then it's easy, just do

mount /mnt/cdrom           (or mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom
-- assuming your cdrom is on /dev/hdb)
cd /mnt/cdrom
rpm -Uvh your.favourite.package.rpm

Otherwise, if it's a tar (or tgz) file, untar it and see the installation
instructions (README or INSTALL). If it's some Caldera specific package, I
don't know.

PATH:
to see what the PATH currently is,

echo $PATH

you append the path for a specific user in his .bash_profile (in his home
directory)
and for all users in /etc/profile

Under Caldera, .bash_profile may be called .profile (don't forget the
dot!).
Of course, I'm talking about bash. If you're using csh, look for files like
.cshrc.

> Thanks,

> I did the locate and it returned:

> /opt/kde/share/apps/ktop/pics/gcc.xpm
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib

> That last line is an empty directory; and I am not sure what a .xpm
> file is, there are quite a few of them in that /opt... directory. Are
> these like rpms?

> Also, I cannot find anything in the man pages about the path. Where is
> it set?

> Thanks,

> Tony

> > It's either not installed, or it's installed, but not in your path.
> > Usually it's the former. Look in /usr/bin and see if you have gcc. You
> > can also do one of the following

> > locate gcc

> > or

> > find / -name gcc -print.

> > If you find it, just append the PATH with the path to gcc. Otherwise,
> > install it. May also want to install g++, because some
> > programs require it. Of course, there is also egcs.

1. error installing make - no acceptable cc found in path

I guess I didn't install make or a C compiler when installing Redat 5.2,
but now I need a Make utility and am getting the following error trying
to install make-3.76.1 from the redhat distribution:

configure: error: no acceptable cc found in path

This error comes from running the './configure' shell script as stated
in the installation instructions.  I have tried to figure out what cc is
from reading the script, but alas, I'm still fairly new to this.  Can
anyone help?

thanks,

2. stupid question? or do you just don't know the answer?

3. configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

4. L O1 01 Problems !!!

5. Fatal trap 12 : page fault while in kernel mode.....huh ?

6. No acceptable C++-compiler found in $PATH !??

7. Need help about HACMP

8. no acceptable ld found in #PATH

9. Apache - configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH

10. cc in /usr/ucb/cc not installed

11. How to set include PATH for CC

12. Setting PATH to include CC when you have none