Need help installing Linux; Kernel Panic..

Need help installing Linux; Kernel Panic..

Post by Daniel Burro » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

    We're trying to install Linux on an IBM Thinkpad 486 w/ 12 MB of ram.  We
got past LILO and the boot prompt--after loading a screenful of drivers, it
asks us to insert the ramdisk.  This isn't mentioned in the instructions, but
we tried inserting various disks.  With all of them, it simply tells us that we
changed the disks, then says to insert the rootdisk.  After the rootdisk is
inserted, it says "Kernel Panic: VFS: Could not mount fs on " and what looks
like a hex address--something like "01:5C".  I saw another posting about this,
but it was as far back as my newsreader goes, and I didn't see any useful
replies..does anyone know about this?  We used different combinations of the
net and bare bootdisks and the color and text rootdisks, to no avail..
Thanks for any advice!

--

Program: 1. (n) A magic spell cast over one's computer, enabling it to turn
one's input into error messages.

Post by Craig Lesh » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

DB> We're trying to install Linux on an IBM Thinkpad 486 w/ 12 MB of
DB> ram.  We got past LILO and the boot prompt--after loading a
DB> screenful of drivers, it asks us to insert the ramdisk.  This isn't
DB> mentioned in the instructions, but we tried inserting various disks.
DB>  With all of them, it simply tells us that we changed the disks,
DB> then says to insert the rootdisk.  After the rootdisk is inserted,
DB> it says "Kernel Panic: VFS: Could not mount fs on " and what looks
DB> like a hex address--something like "01:5C".  I saw another posting
DB> about this, but it was as far back as my newsreader goes, and I
DB> didn't see any useful replies..does anyone know about this?  We used
DB> different combinations of the net and bare bootdisks and the color
DB> and text rootdisks, to no avail.. Thanks for any advice!

That posting you reference may have been mine. I found that I could get
through the <insert ramdisk> prompt by just leaving the boot disk in the
drive. It'll say disk change detected and continue on even though no
change was made. Using a 486 notebook with 6 mb, I was able to load
linux with the boot from floppy option, but I can't get it to boot
itself and I have to copy the installation disks on a DOS partition to
get around the "drive not mounted" problems.

Let me know if you are able to overcome.  I'm stuck.

Craig

 * RM 1.31 3275 * RoboMail -- The next generation QWK compatible reader!

Need help installing Linux; Kernel Panic..

Post by nkoo.. » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi all --

Quote:> DB> We're trying to install Linux on an IBM Thinkpad 486 w/ 12 MB of
> DB> ram.  We got past LILO and the boot prompt--after loading a
> DB> screenful of drivers, it asks us to insert the ramdisk.  This isn't

This is where you insert the "root" disk.  The image from the root disk is
transferred to ram where it becomes the ram-based file system (ramdisk).  Then
there is no second prompt.

Quote:> DB> mentioned in the instructions, but we tried inserting various disks.
> DB>  With all of them, it simply tells us that we changed the disks,
> DB> then says to insert the rootdisk.  After the rootdisk is inserted,

When you do this, the floppy becomes the live file system (slow), and there's
no ramdisk.  The system will run like this, but you won't be able to make a
boot disk because your system is running in the floppy.  Removing it will crash
the system.  And if you try making a boot out of this floppy, you write over
your running file system (crash).

Quote:> DB> it says "Kernel Panic: VFS: Could not mount fs on " and what looks
> DB> like a hex address--something like "01:5C".  I saw another posting
> DB> about this, but it was as far back as my newsreader goes, and I
> DB> didn't see any useful replies..does anyone know about this?  We used
> DB> different combinations of the net and bare bootdisks and the color
> DB> and text rootdisks, to no avail.. Thanks for any advice!

> That posting you reference may have been mine. I found that I could get
> through the <insert ramdisk> prompt by just leaving the boot disk in the
> drive. It'll say disk change detected and continue on even though no
> change was made. Using a 486 notebook with 6 mb, I was able to load
> linux with the boot from floppy option, but I can't get it to boot
> itself and I have to copy the installation disks on a DOS partition to
> get around the "drive not mounted" problems.

> Let me know if you are able to overcome.  I'm stuck.

What a trap!  Once you see that second prompt, I guess you can never "unsee" it.

Hope this helps  --  Neil.

Post by Chandler Howe » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

> DB> We're trying to install Linux on an IBM Thinkpad 486 w/ 12 MB of
> DB> ram.  We got past LILO and the boot prompt--after loading a
> DB> screenful of drivers, it asks us to insert the ramdisk.  This isn't
> DB> mentioned in the instructions, but we tried inserting various disks.
> DB>  With all of them, it simply tells us that we changed the disks,
> DB> then says to insert the rootdisk.  After the rootdisk is inserted,
> DB> it says "Kernel Panic: VFS: Could not mount fs on " and what looks
> DB> like a hex address--something like "01:5C".  I saw another posting
> DB> about this, but it was as far back as my newsreader goes, and I
> DB> didn't see any useful replies..does anyone know about this?  We used
> DB> different combinations of the net and bare bootdisks and the color
> DB> and text rootdisks, to no avail.. Thanks for any advice!

When you're prompted for the boot parameters, you need to enter
"floppy=thinkpad" as a command-line option.  I don't know which kernels
support this--I'm running RedHat 1.2.13 kernel on my Thinkpad 755c with a
USR 14.4 Modem and 3Com 3c589 Ethernet on PCMCIA. (I've got the 1.3.99
sources and will build them for APM one of these days... :)  )

There used to be a Linux on Thinkpad WWW page in France, but it appears
to have gone away.  Maybe I'll get some of my own notes up one of these
days.

Another (so I've read) common problem with Linux on ThinkPads has to do
with the fact that the HDD geometry is not stored in BIOS or something,
and must be entered on the command line as well, but I never had that
problem on my system (May only be older models).

Also, the X support is a little sketchy for me, since I have an obscure
Western Digital video chipset (WD90C24), but it works pretty well (Better
than my roomate's Dell P120 Notebook >:)  )

Feel free to email me with any more problems or questions you might have.

-Chandler

--
#include <disclaimer.h> /*-------------------------------------------------
Chandler "Bing" Howell            * "There are only two major products    *

------------------- http://naftalab.bus.utexas.edu/bing ------------------*
-- "Never trust a software engineer with a screwdriver." --Tim Crowther -*/

1. NEED HELP: installing (kernel panic)

Hello:

   I am trying to install slackware 2.3 from my hard disk.
After I inserted the boot disk and then the root disk,
I got something like the following:

  VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
  VFS: Disk change detected on device 2/0
  floppy0: sector not found: track 1, head 1, sector 11, size 2
  end_request: I/O error, dev 020, sector 64
  isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0x20 iso_blknum 16
  kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00
(then halt ...)

Any idea??

   Thanks!!!

   -- Ma

2. What predefined C preprocessor symbols are there?

3. Kernel panic: aha152x panic (during LILO install)

4. Login denied: No shell: permission denied

5. Kernel Panic, Please Help...I am Panicking Too

6. Snow screen

7. HELP! Kernel Panic: EXT2-fs panic ...

8. 5250 & HLLAPI

9. Help ! Panic Panic: Kernel crash

10. Help needed: Adaptec 1740, Kernel Panic

11. HELP NEEDED! 3c505 NIC =Kernel panic!

12. Help with "Kernel panic - Swapper" needed please!

13. kernel panic? Need Help?