when booting kernel: screen switches off

when booting kernel: screen switches off

Post by Sein » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:20:54

I've ran out of ideas. I have this nice P75 system I want to use as a
(dedicated) server/router with the freesco single-floppy router. Here's
what happens:

I start the computer, it boots the freesco-floppy and I get the freesco
startscreen. Now I can do a normal kernelboot or 'setup'. Whatever I
choose, after 'loading ramdisk...' my monitor switches off. Except for
this, the system seems to continue running and continue the booting. The
keyboard still works, the floppy keeps reacting after certain key
inputs. A startup-bootdisk from Mandrake 8.1 had excactly the same effect.

I thought maybe giving parameters like vga=ask would help, but before it
could even ask me for the right mode, the screen is already switched off.

Does somebody know what's going on here? What should I do?

To be complete, here's some extra info:
Pentium 75, on-board video, motherboard I TRITON (don't know type),
no harddisk (shouldn't matter, freesco can run from floppy only), 16MB
ram, 2 PCI NICS and off course standard floppy, no cdrom, SVGA monitor

Any help is very much appreciated, I'm totally stuck.

Thanks, Erik

Post by stepha » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:57:59

> I've ran out of ideas. I have this nice P75 system I want to use as a
> (dedicated) server/router with the freesco single-floppy router. Here's
> what happens:

> I start the computer, it boots the freesco-floppy and I get the freesco
> startscreen. Now I can do a normal kernelboot or 'setup'. Whatever I
> choose, after 'loading ramdisk...' my monitor switches off. Except for
> this, the system seems to continue running and continue the booting. The
> keyboard still works, the floppy keeps reacting after certain key
> inputs. A startup-bootdisk from Mandrake 8.1 had excactly the same effect.

> Does somebody know what's going on here? What should I do

Are you sure that that bootdisk has any console support built in? it sounds
like the console support has been disabled for that kernel.

--
----- stephan

when booting kernel: screen switches off

Post by Sein » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:48:48

Quote:> Are you sure that that bootdisk has any console support built in? it sounds
> like the console support has been disabled for that kernel.

Yes, I'm quite positive. It works on my other daily -use computer.
Besides, a bootdisk like Mandrake 8.1's will most definitely have this.

I did manage to load the kernel while I could see the messages displayed
with a bootfloppy from an old redhat 5.1 distro. The problem seems to
occur after loading the ramdisk into memory. I have no other option,
since I don't have a harddisk. I'm still stuck. Any more suggestions?

BTW, some more info: computer is an Olivetti M4 P75S.

Regards, Erik

1. Linux's screen paging, how can I switch it off?

I'd like to use Slackware Linux with my Braille display. It works quite
well, however my Braille display can only show me screen page zero.
Linux uses the other screen pages too. Can I switch this feature of in
Linux? There must be a way to do this. Or can I tell Linux to use the
Monochrom area of the PC memory, like the "mode mono" command in DOS?

Thanks

Michael Lang, Hamburg

2. Multiple virtual screen hardware req.

3. vbidecode using kde or netscape

4. How to switch off virtual screen space?

5. creating /var/spool/mail/(user)

6. Linux's screen paging, how can I switch it off?

7. Linux/Adaptec 1542cf problem (w/ partial solution)

8. Switching Off An Ethernet Client With A Hardware Switch

9. HP DAT switched off during boot

10. Booting Linux off the primary hdd, win95 off the secondary using LILO

11. lilo won't boot off /dev/sda but will off hda

12. Kernel configured to boot off wrong dev. Please Advise.