Mouse problem - no mouse at all

Post by Jarkko Kos » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I'm new to linux, just installed Slackware 3something. It comes up quite
nicely when I boot from floppy, but mouse won't work. I've used all my
imagination.. Help!

------ I tried ---
~# which setserial
/bin/setserial
~# \ls -la /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     tty        4,  64 Jul 18  1994 /dev/ttyS0
~# setserial -b /dev/ttyS0 uart 16450 port 0x3F8 irq 4
/dev/ttyS0: No such device
~# \ls -la /dev/cua0
crw-rw----   1 root     uucp       5,  64 Jul 18  1994 /dev/cua0
~# setserial -b /dev/cua0 uart 16450 port 0x3F8 irq 4
/dev/cua0: No such device
~# more /proc/interrupts
 0:   445880   timer
 1:     6692   keyboard
 2:        0   cascade
13:        1   math error
14:   129146 + ide0

------

What else is relevant information? Does it have to have some process
controling serial port (rc.?????), inittab ? ?
Along the way I have taken away all other hardware apart from io card
and display adapter. It don't seem to matter which parameters I pass
to 'setserial' the result is always same, exept if I point e.g. file
/dev/foo.

The mouse is in COM1.

/ Jarde

Mouse problem - no mouse at all

Post by Jarkko Kos » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Well, I found my lost imagination. I was using the 2.0 series kernel I
got from my friend. Why does it not support mouse, remains a mystery
(my friend's on vacation).
So I booted the machine with installing kernel 'abare' and *bingo*, mouse
works. That leads to my other problem, I don't get my kernel to boot. I have
done the things that documentation projects manuals say, but no, the machine
starts reading my floppy and continues reading it, continues, continues..
Nothing else happens. No report that the disk is not bootable etc.
(I compiled 'make config', 'make deps; make clean', 'make zImage' and
'cat vmlinux > /dev/fd0', I also checked that the root device is /dev/hdb1
as it should be. Kernel is 1.2 series).

Also I'm a little disappointed to the documentation. It seems to describe
unix to beginners more than linux to users/administrators, however the
partitioning chapter was good. But working out your own boot disk, a whole
page! And FAQ, what? is 15 questions all that's been asked in the history
of linux?

     |    -

                 (_)