Kernel PANIC after recompile!

Post by Dan Barne » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

After having my system up on Linux 1.2.13 (Slackware 3.0) for several
days, I ran did a make config to add my soundcard support.  Recompile
took about 36 minutes, copied /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage to
vmlinuz in root, and rebooted.  Boot proceeded normally until the
following:

19:54:27 CST 1996

I can boot from floopy boot disk fine.  I went back and did another mak
config and answered no to Sound Card Support, and recompiled, and get the
same result.  I haven't a clue. >Obvious Newbie! :-) <

My hardware configure configuration is as follows:

486DX4/100mhz on ASUS VL/I GX4 Motherboard
/dev/hda1  WD 540MB Dos (entire drive)     >boot flag toggled<
/dev/hdb1  WD 420MB Linux Native (400mb)   >boot flag toggled<
/dev/hdb2           Linux Swap (20mb)
/dev/hdc1  Syquest 135mb Cartridge drive

After my original installation, all worked great, talking to all hardware
with no problems.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,  Dan

Kernel PANIC after recompile!

Post by yo » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

As root, type "rdev /vmlinuz" at the shell prompt.  If it tells you
that the root is anything other than /dev/hdb1, you should change
it with "rdev /vmlinuz /dev/hdb1".

>After having my system up on Linux 1.2.13 (Slackware 3.0) for several
>days, I ran did a make config to add my soundcard support.  Recompile
>took about 36 minutes, copied /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage to
>vmlinuz in root, and rebooted.  Boot proceeded normally until the
>following:

>19:54:27 CST 1996
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41

>I can boot from floopy boot disk fine.  I went back and did another
mak
>config and answered no to Sound Card Support, and recompiled, and get
the
>same result.  I haven't a clue. >Obvious Newbie! :-) <

>My hardware configure configuration is as follows:

>486DX4/100mhz on ASUS VL/I GX4 Motherboard
>/dev/hda1  WD 540MB Dos (entire drive)     >boot flag toggled<
>/dev/hdb1  WD 420MB Linux Native (400mb)   >boot flag toggled<
>/dev/hdb2           Linux Swap (20mb)
>/dev/hdc1  Syquest 135mb Cartridge drive

>After my original installation, all worked great, talking to all
hardware
>with no problems.

>Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

>TIA,  Dan

Kernel PANIC after recompile!

Post by STEVEN JOHN ROBERT » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

First reinstall the default kernel from slackware.
When you compile the kernel after make config
do             make dep;make clean;make zlilo
this will install vmlinuz automatically,
save your existing kernel to vmlinuz.old
and System.old and runs lilo for you.
The sound configuration should make no difference.

Hope this helps

steve
- Its better to burn out than fade away
- Still smokin' :-)'

Kernel PANIC after recompile!

Post by Sjoerd Kro » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Did you also ran lilo after the compile??
Lilo puts some info about the vmlinuz file in a kind of a map.
If you're vmlinuz is different when you reboot, the info in
that map isn't correct anymore and that gives you the panic.

So after changing to a new vmlinuz run the lilo program (just
type in the command : lilo

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
          Sjoerd

1. Kernel Panic with recompiled kernel

Hello,

I recently recompiled the 2.2.13 kernel on my firewall/router for my
home network.  The only option I changed from my previous kernel was the
one dealing with multiple serial ports.  After I installed the new
kernel and modules, ran lilo, and rebooted, I got a message saying this:

Kernel panic: kmem_cache_sizes_init:  Error creating caches In Swapper
task - not syncing

At this point, the machine stops and the floppy drive light stays lit.
Here are the system specs:

HP Vectra 5/60 VL2
24 MB RAM
850 MB HD
2 3C509 NIC's
SuSE 6.3 with Kernel 2.2.13

I had lilo set to boot this kernel by default without any delay at the
LILO: prompt, as I have always done.  When I set the timeout to a longer
value, (5 seconds) and then typed in 'linux' at the prompt, the kernel
worked fine.  If I let it timeout, I get the same error message as
above.  I also tried this with the SuSE default kernel.  Again, it
produced a kernel panic when I had it set to boot by default, but typing
in 'suse' works fine.  What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?  Thanks
in advance,

PENN

2. Folk Guitar

3. Kernel Panic after booting recompiled kernel

4. Port I/O Monitoring

5. Kernel Panic after recompile

6. xmkmf and make

7. recompiling for SMP -> kernel panic

8. Problem w mylex DAC960 driver in kernel 2.4.18

9. Kernel Panic after recompiling

10. Kernel panic after Cyclades support recompile

11. help - kernel panic after recompile

12. Kernel Panic -no init found --even after recompile w/file system support

13. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?