Help: Linux boot stalls at Probing PCI Hardware.

Help: Linux boot stalls at Probing PCI Hardware.

Post by Rand » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I am a newbie to Linux. Today I tried to install the Slackware
(version 3.0 I believe) from the book Using Linux Second Editon (the
book that also has the Redhat distribution). The kernel version on
this cd-rom is 1.3.18.

I was able to go through the install procedure without problems. I
created a LILO boot floppy but skipped installing LILO on my HD. When
I try to boot from this floppy, it hangs at Probing PCI Hardware. What
confuses me is why was I able to boot from the install disk (which
also probes the PCI hardware) and not the one I created?

I have a Comtrade P90 system with 16 meg of ram. I'm sorry I don't
know the make of the motherboard. The PCI hardware I have is a
DTC2130D PCI to IDE disk controller and a Diamond Stealth 64 Dram with
2 meg ram (BIOS ver 2.06).

I hope this is enough information for someone to give me help. If not
please e-mail me and I'll try to be more specific.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking an intro Unix class
and would like to be able to practice at home. TIA.

Best Regards,

Randy Cummings

1. Please help: Linux boot stalls at Probing PCI Hardware.

[...]

2. Linux pre2.07 with SMP

3. Probe Pci and the PCI Hardware list.

4. 2.5.47-mm1 oops

5. PCI: probing PCI hardware ... in eterno

6. 403GCX Linux JTAG debug

7. Help! Probing PCI Hardware

8. what is nmbd?

9. Probing PCI hardware

10. Upgrade Install hangs while probing PCI hardware

11. Travelmate 5100 PCI probing (and probing...)

12. Random probes/lack of probes under 2.2 with PCI

13. Q: Hardware probing info at boot time